Twelfth Year

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited April 2012 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 386

Comments

• spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    Fantastic!

btw one of my favs
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Dang, nailed it! Awesome, and up to speed too.

I've transcribed that one a while back and worked on it a bit but parts I can only get at like 70% speed. How many times do you estimate you played that before you got it pretty close to up to speed?

I totally agree with your 4 reasons especially the last one which I've always thought myself after working thru some of his solos. Pure genious for sure.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Dang, nailed it! Awesome, and up to speed too.

I've transcribed that one a while back and worked on it a bit but parts I can only get at like 70% speed. How many times do you estimate you played that before you got it pretty close to up to speed?

I totally agree with your 4 reasons especially the last one which I've always thought myself after working thru some of his solos. Pure genious for sure.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Thanks guys!!
    Bones i've been working on it for about a year--gradually building the speed up--as always i think the secret lies in the left hand fingering--the gypsy picking right hand dictates the string choice and what the left hand wll do.And obviously keeping as relaxed as possible.
    Thanks again
    Stu
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Yeah - right on Stu! bloody amazing! also one of my all time favourites...cheers Phil :D:D:D
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I'll check out your left hand fingering and see if that helps.

That is such a fantastic solo. A classic for sure.

thanks for the advice.

PS- I have also checked out some of your improvisations and they are really great. I especially like some of your 'outside' ideas. Keep it up!
    Yeah---as i say i don't want to learn these solos 'parrot fashion'---i learn them because it improves my timing and phrasing---timing is what hardly anyone talks about but its the key to playing not just Djangos music but any jazz or for that matter brazilian or classical music.
    Also if you study Django you realise his primary goal in Music was creating new melodies---it wasn't about learning '500 gypsy jazz licks' and changing the order of them on each solo;and it wasn't about running 100's of different arpeggios through a chord sequence.It was about using the song melody and the chord sequence to create new melodies of your own and hopefully tell a cohesive story.
    Imo the truly weird thing about most of the gypsy jazz players of the last say 25 years particularly is that they don't primarily think melodically---its chord based rather than melodic.
    Of course the exceptions are Bireli,Fapy 1980s' Boulou and sometimes Angelo---and also the new breed of young french guitarists as well--thats because they've chosen Bireli above all as their inspiration--and Bireli at his best understands the way Django thought musically better than anyone else alive.
    And forgot to say thanks Phil!!!---will you be in the UK (Gossington?) this year?
    cheers
  • stubla wrote:
    Yeah---as i say i don't want to learn these solos 'parrot fashion'---i learn them because it improves my timing and phrasing---timing is what hardly anyone talks about but its the key to playing not just Djangos music but any jazz or for that matter brazilian or classical music.
    Also if you study Django you realise his primary goal in Music was creating new melodies---it wasn't about learning '500 gypsy jazz licks' and changing the order of them on each solo;and it wasn't about running 100's of different arpeggios through a chord sequence.It was about using the song melody and the chord sequence to create new melodies of your own and hopefully tell a cohesive story.
    Imo the truly weird thing about most of the gypsy jazz players of the last say 25 years particularly is that they don't primarily think melodically---its chord based rather than melodic.
    Of course the exceptions are Bireli,Fapy 1980s' Boulou and sometimes Angelo---and also the new breed of young french guitarists as well--thats because they've chosen Bireli above all as their inspiration--and Bireli at his best understands the way Django thought musically better than anyone else alive.

Well said.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    stubla wrote:
    Totally agree. Django was an incredible "story telling" improviser which is why his improvisations sound more like compositions and why they are so distinctive and timelessly repeatable.

To think he created a solo like this on-the-spot is incredible...... and we know it is a pure improvisation because the other take is so different.

Nice playing by the way Stu and you know how grudgingly I say that. 8) :roll: