DjangoBooks.com

Twelfth Year

2»

Comments

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    stubla wrote:
    Also if you study Django you realise his primary goal in Music was creating new melodies---it wasn't about learning '500 gypsy jazz licks' and changing the order of them on each solo;and it wasn't about running 100's of different arpeggios through a chord sequence.It was about using the song melody and the chord sequence to create new melodies of your own and hopefully tell a cohesive story.
    Totally agree. Django was an incredible "story telling" improviser which is why his improvisations sound more like compositions and why they are so distinctive and timelessly repeatable.

To think he created a solo like this on-the-spot is incredible...... and we know it is a pure improvisation because the other take is so different.

Nice playing by the way Stu and you know how grudgingly I say that. 8) :roll:
    es

Yes both takes are superb--this one slightly has the edge for me.
    And thanks teddy---it makes the modest praise even sweeter if its begrudged ---you miserable sod! :-)
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    stubla wrote:
    And thanks teddy---it makes the modest praise even sweeter if its begrudged ---you miserable sod! :-)
    :D
  • roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    Thanks for the great thread fellas!!
    I very much enjoyed "stublas" post about melody vs parroting.
  • BrettBrett New
    Brilliant Stu.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Brett wrote:
    Brilliant Stu.

Is that Brett as in 'Brett' ?
    Thanks oh great one!!.

stu