DjangoBooks.com

Speed kills the swing/time to get back to dancing.

Comments

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    far from it, i was merely commenting on the academic issue... After all, I don't go around posting ads/videos of "authentic gypsy jazz" :wink::wink:

As an aside, I don't. If you are going to make sweeping statement on this forum check your facts first. I did'nt comment on your music or your videos

You douche :D
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    Shredding is awesome when done right! Check out Andy James, an amazing metal guitarist that uses medlody and speed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PG5M64MIMY&feature=relmfu
    I prefer melodic flows in Gypsy Jazz but appreciate when a guitarist can shred and keep me interested.... Its when it reaches the "WTF" point that i get annoyed with it. Stephen
    Wrembel great guitarist, renowned, creative, literaly wrote a book on Gypsy Jazz, but even this great Gypsy Jazz guitarist in his show in altedena, CA last week made me reach the WTF point ( I left the show early, couldn't take another set, very disapointed :roll: ).

Yet, come on, how many of us here are gonna go and cut records and start touring next week? not many, enjoy yourself!!!!!!!! SHRED AWAY! As for dancing swing brother swing. but lets get real here, the amount of people dancing to this music now or days is few and far inbetween. It's a niche market. I say play what you want for yourself, if you wanna shred, shred. if you wanna use your fingers instead of a pick, go ahead. if you wanna play Django without super accurate fingering, who cares, play like a gypsy, a marriachi, a rasta, etc... go ahead. It's music, an expression of yourself. :mrgreen:
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Speaking of fast... just found this video by one of my favorite quitarists, Tommy Emanuel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTU8W3Zv ... re=related

He's playing Arthur Smith's Guitar Boogie on on Chet Atkins' old Martin - amazing picking!
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I like the fact that you looked up 'fast swing ' to make your point-that tempo is nothing like what I am refering too Teddy, but you have convinced me, and my point is obviously incorrect as it seems to have got you all a bit upset.
    In future I will keep my opinions to myself with regards to this matter!
    Anyway, what mm picks do you all use and what is better a Cigano or a saga... :roll:

Rimm
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I find this issue to be a false dichotomy.

I'd also like to say I consider Denis Chang one of the most gifted teachers and players available to our community. He is also one of the most generous individuals I've come across; I am very grateful for all he has given.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I'd also like to say I consider Denis Chang one of the most gifted teachers and players available to our community. He is also one of the most generous individuals I've come across; I am very grateful for all he has given.
    I'll second that. He's also an awesome Cookie Monster.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    I could be mistaken, but I don't recall anyone on this topic saying that one should never play fast or that there is anything wrong with playing fast. I don't think there is anything offensive in merely suggesting that slower and/or dance rhythms also be included in a performance to appeal to a larger audience. Personally, I like to learn as many skills as possible to be a versatile guitar player. If you only like to play fast, that is fine, but why resent others who prefer more variety?
  • Dennis certainly gets my vote as master of gj eclecticism as well as guitarist. :lol: we are very lucky to have such a resource.

How do you define swing. When i was growing up swing was a style of music based on swinging the eigths Which means that the first of the two eights was held longer than the second. If notes are played fast enough it become difficult to hear whether or not there is that timing difference and if a tune etc etc?.

. Now i hope this thread will die its natural death :D

As the man said for those that beleive there is no need for proof and for those that dont beleive there is no possibility of proof.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    oldsouth wrote:
    but why resent others who prefer more variety?

Oldsouth, I'd say, exactly. I don't think there's an argument there. That's basically my only quibble: that a religion out of music in any direction - whether to say, GJ is all swing of a certain tempo, and anything that can't be danced to by some standard of that tempo is probably off base; or, unless you can shred jam partners, you have no chops - is probably destined to close down possibilities, and not open them. Artistry at screaming tempos, and artistry with as many silences as notes, is still artistry, we can agree; yes?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    As for dancing swing brother swing. but lets get real here, the amount of people dancing to this music now or days is few and far inbetween. It's a niche market. I say play what you want for yourself, if you wanna shred, shred. if you wanna use your fingers instead of a pick, go ahead.

I take it back! I ventured out last night to a local bar playing Gypsy Jazz.. Behold Dancers! Beautiful woman in gorgeous dresses, men in slacks and ties, feet moving and twirling all to Gypsy Jazz (well at least a variation of it-The Icy Hot Club). The music was at a good tempo 180-210bpm.. I gotta say it was swinging..
    Now for the part about picking.... well, one of the two guitar players was using rest stroke technique, the other was a straight out rock n' roll cross picker resting his palm on the bridge. Which of the two projected better, sounded cleaner and was spot on? Yes, the rest stroke picker!!!! I still believe play how and what you want to play, but if your playing for a dancing audience then you gotta swing and you gotta stick with what works!.....also brief peeve, the band said they started playing this music as a gag, not a wise thing to say about a music that i personally take seriously, and people dancing take just as serious.... so, yet again, I retract.. SWING BROTHER SWING!