DjangoBooks.com

What CD's to buy next?

Comments

• kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    This reissued set by Fapy Lafertin is the one I would buy next:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lafertinandlejazz

I just got this today.... WOW!

They matched the recording technology that Django recorded with to make these two CDs.

This is transcendental. Thanks for the tip. :shock:
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    Fapy just makes me happy. Unadorned, old-school. I listen to the release Ben links to, whenever I wonder whether there's still room for old school in today's world.
    i just love Fapy, such a gentleman - he never seems to try, he just seems to get it.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I'll say amen to Klaatu and all the others who recommended that Fapy double CD... wow! Awesome!

THANKS for bringing that to my attention.

I just went to the website and listened to the teasers, and just from hearing that, one might even use the word 'inspirational'

I'm going to see if I can purchase the actual CD's while I'm here in Paris, but if not I'm definitely going to buy it at the online link above.

Will

PS I know I'm about two years late in discovering this, but I just found this YouTube clip of a hundred gypsy guitar players playing Minor Swing to celebrate Django's hundredth birthday in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkvoxxE4lk

Perhaps I'm just a big wimp, but see if YOU can watch it without shedding some 'happy tears"...!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Will - you should check out the documentary, Life After Django. That is the centerpiece to the documentary.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Ah! I hadn't realized that, thanks John.

It's kind of annoying because I signed up for Netflix basically to see that film.

Surprise! It turns out that Canadian Netflix has only about 20% of the films that US Netflix has...! So naturally, "Life After Django" is not available in Canada.

WTF why did we ever sign NAFTA anyway? Screwed again! This is worse than softwood lumber!

!-)

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Surprise! It turns out that Canadian Netflix has only about 20% of the films that US Netflix has...! So naturally, "Life After Django" is not available in Canada.

Good to know that. I was about to take the Netfilx plunge just to see this too. I'm surprised that it isn't available on Amazon or anywhere yet. I satiated myself with the tiny clips on youtube but that's just a tease :wink:
  • It's Jim, but ladies in certain areas of town often refer to me as John. I can't figure out why.

That movie is well worth checking out.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Good to know that. I was about to take the Netfilx plunge just to see this too. I'm surprised that it isn't available on Amazon or anywhere yet. I satiated myself with the tiny clips on youtube but that's just a tease :wink:

Sorry for the US-centric naivete....you guys aren't able to buy this from Amazon (US)? It's available there.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    jkaz wrote:
    It's Jim, but ladies in certain areas of town often refer to me as John. I can't figure out why.

:D
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • I think they may be looking for an instant view type thing, ala Netflix or Amazon On Demand, Paul.