DjangoBooks.com

2013 Mazaud Vieux Paris

Comments

• swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    noodlenot wrote:
    Bohemian wrote:
    Beautiful guitar.
    Sorry for the nit-picking, but i alos found this statement: "an enlarged oval soundhole for improved bass response" - anyone care to comment?

don´t want to rain on this parade, though. the guitar is a real stunner! and if it sounds good and plays well, we´re all happy.
    cheers,
    miguel.

I own the 2012. Bass response is excellent- tight, controlled and full. Can't say specifically whether it's the enlarged hole or the overall construction, but the sound is amazing. Old world tone with great touch response. I can say the enlarged sound hole improves the "monitoring" of your playing better than the usual petite bouches.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    When I played Swingnation's Mazaud at Django in June last year, I was amazed at how good it was, for sure, but specifically, I was stunned at how well it fit in with my old guitars. Those of you who know me, know I am a vintage guy, and quite honestly, most of the new guitars I play and hear, even when they are among the best, have a harshness to them that seems typical of newer GJ guitars, and which I don't like much. New guitars seem really good at being loud, but perhaps are not so well-developed tonally. Of the newer guitars out there, really only a couple of builders seem to be able to avoid the harshness...at least on the ones I have played. What impressed me so much about the Mazaud was the very vintage vibe it had: it had that old world bark, without the brassy tone that most modern builders seem to be going for, and the tone sounded like a very old and well-settled guitar. It fit in tonally with my vintage boxes like it had been made in the '40s, not last year. That's a great quality in my opinion, because it has a vintage sound without needing the rehabilitation that, quite frankly, so many old guitars need to get into top fighting shape.

I spent an entire afternoon last year talking guitars with the fine French luthier, Cyril Gaffiero, and we talked quite a bit about Mazaud. Cyril spoke in almost reverent terms about his respect for Mazaud and his guitars. Coming from a luthier of Gaffiero's abilities, that meant something! I have been fortunate enough to gather a pretty mazing gaggle of vintage guitars, and some outstanding modern ones as well, but at the top of my list right now for new guitars is a Vieux Paris.

Cut to me doing my Jon Stewart impression, fist in the air, shouting, "Damn you, Swingnation!"
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Excellent post, thank you Michael.

Sort of. I feel the finite funds pain all a bit more keenly just now.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    Cut to me doing my Jon Stewart impression, fist in the air, shouting, "Damn you, Swingnation!"

Well, if it's any consolation- I plan on bringing Caol Ila and Oban to round out your other collection at DIJ this year.
    Oh great. West Highlands meets the sea, paradise in a dram.

You guys really are going to kill me.
    -Paul

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I always said you were a good man! See you in June!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Michael.ArmitageMichael.Armitage Melbourne, Australia✭✭ 2012 Alain Mazaud Vieux Paris
    As the lucky owner of this amazing guitar by Alain Mazaud, I thought I'd share my first impressions...

I'd have to agree with Michael Bauer. I don't have his experience with vintage guitars but I am suprised at how mature the guitar already sounds considering it was only completed a few weeks ago. My last purchase from a luthier sounded so raw and harsh for the first few years that it didn't inspire me to play it for quite some time.

The Vieux Paris is quite a different beast.... I don't want to put it down. The bass response is unbelievable. It has a low end thump that you feel in your guts when playing chords while single notes in the low register somehow remain very tight and dry. The mid range is thick with a wonderful 'crunch' when you dig in. The trebles are a little more refined than some of the brighter guitars that I've played but cut through with little effort. Overall, one of the biggest differences for me compared to other guitars I've owned is how dry and quick the attack is which makes it so much easier to achieve a clear, defined sound. Also it is so much easier to grip a six note Fm6/9 in the first position due to the shorter scale.

The guitar is very light and the woods are absolutely gorgeous. It's a real gem and worth every cent. It basically has that authentic sound I've been listening to on recordings for all these years. I've been considering many different guitars but living in Australia makes it tough to choose the right one. I'd played guitars by Shopis, Barault, Holo among others. They were all great guitars but the Vieux Paris promised to be a little different so I took a chance, despite not having a chance to play one first. I'm glad I did and would highly recommend Alain's instruments to anyone considering one.

My search for a guitar is over...... although I do like the look of a Shopis' D'Artagnan Model S...... or maybe a Marin...... Please help me.
    Congratulations, Michael. I have ordered a Shopis Model F, D-Hole, and eagerly anticipating its arrival sometime in the next several months. My search isn't quite over. A friend once told me that every GJ player deserves both a D-hole and an oval hole. From his lips to the heavens' ears, because the Mazaud Vieux Paris is flat out the most gorgeous thing I've yet seen. And hearing how well M. Mazaud's description of his aims with this guitar squares with player's experiences, well.....man. Congratulations, to M. Mazaud, and to the two of you from the States I know who own this fine instrument.
    -Paul

• Michael.ArmitageMichael.Armitage Melbourne, Australia✭✭ 2012 Alain Mazaud Vieux Paris
    I'm sure you'll love your Shopis. I came very close to ordering a D-hole from Rodrigo myself after visiting him last year. Rodrigo is such a nice guy and so many people speak highly of his guitars but the Mazaud just came along at the right time. I like the idea of carbon reinforced necks without a truss rod and Rodrigo seems to be one of the few luthiers other than Bob Holo that offer this. Let me know how your Model F turns out.
    Thanks, Michael. Yes, it was after talking with many happy Shopis owners (and others who've played them quite a bit) that I ordered the Model F from Rodrigo, very excited to play it. I do hope to also get the Mazaud, at some point. Congratulations again, Michael, many happy years playing.
    -Paul