DjangoBooks.com

Thinking of wrapping this up in March?

Comments

• SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Lango,

It's my birthday soon, I'll have to start dropping heavy hints in my Wife's direction :D

SP
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    OK, Spud, I'm finally posting my recording.

(Apologies for the sound quality. I don't know WTF gives... I went out and bought a new Shure microphone and a USB Dual Pre to record this and it still sounds like it was recorded with the built-in microphone in the computer...?)

Anyway, this is me, warts and all. It doesn't sound remotely like Daniel Givone, but believe me, I'm using all those fingerings from his book... as well as some stuff stolen from Django etc. and some of my own screwball ideas...

The main thing I'm conscious of as I listen to myself is how I'm not happy with my relationship to the beat... always pushing it. I realize I'm going to have to work at playing on or behind the beat in the future.

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Will,

I don't know what it is about my computer but I can't play your mp3's.

I click on them but they don't play???

Hmmmm....

PS- I like your post script. BTW, the second amendment was actually put in there to preserve the slave OWNERS rights to own arms to keep the slaves under control. Nice folks huh? Patrick Henry and other southerners went on the floor of the Congress (or the Senate or whatever) during the constitutional convention and argued that the 'federal militia' might not be counted on to control a slave 'insurrection' since they were only meant to be called upon to defend the country against an external attack.

Here's an interesting discussion about it:

http://truth-out.org/news/item/13890-th ... ve-slavery

Note also that Henry was concerned that their slaves could be emancipated through military service. Sounds very familiar (i.e. proposals for todays 'dream act'???)
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    hey lango, thanks for posting your mp3.
    there is some nice stuff and yeah not at all like givone but thats a good thing! if youve integrated his patterns to do your own thing i think thats really good

in light of what you were saying about the beat have you tried working with a metrononme that clicks on the 2 and 4 beats?
    i find it really helps to work on the swing and timing by trying to create a sort of dialogue between you and the "clicks": you can play something and let the clicks "respond" or play on the clicks. i hope you get what i mean
    What a wonderful idea for using the metronome, spud, thanks! I'll let you know how it works for me.

And Bones, thanks for that link, I'll check that out. Now re: my MP3's, I"m sorry they dont work for you. I think Jazzaferri a few months ago told me he had the same problem opening my files, too. I'm a Mac user, perhaps that's the problem?

Anyway, I went to QuickTime and tried to save that MP3 file as an .mov file which I tried to attach to this but was just informed "The extension mov is not allowed."

So now I'm attaching it once again, this time as an M4a file.

I hope that works because it's the last idea I've got.

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • My first guitar/music mentor told me

Play it a hundred times you know it a thousand times you own it. At the time I thought he was overstating things :shock:

I learned :mrgreen:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Jay, alas your teacher was all too correct.

Now I have a question about music teachers, and I can't think of anyone more qualified that you to answer it.

I play in a band with this guy who is like the Django of sax and clarinet. He can blow the roof off the joint, but knows little in the way of musical theory... Or at least, the kind of musical theory we commonly talk about here at this site. He's given me chord charts he's tried to make up for tunes he wants to play and they are miles from the correct changes, and yet somehow he intuitively plays the right changes, or else gets away with playing his own version of the changes. I guess you could call him a savant, though he's far from being an idiot!

BTW, he subs with the local GJ band in Buffalo when their violin player can't make the gig, so he knows a bunch of GJ tunes. and I feel quite confident in stating that if he were to ever go to "Django in June", he'd totally amaze all the visiting European players of all instruments.

OK, my question is, what if I were to take lessons on improvising from him... do you think he could he teach me anything about playing my guitar better, given that he is a clarinet/sax guy? or would this just be a waste of time since it is also a given that he doesn't know much about musical theory?

Thanks!

Will

• If you like his licks he could show you those the old fashioned, show and play...show and play til you get it.

Beyond that .... Probably as his intuitive understanding...is exactly that....intuitive...would be hard work to extract anything more.

The integration of harmonic comprehension with ones playing.......hmmmmmm.....I wonder that For some it comes more naturally than others....some never get it at all from what I hear at times.

Btw in looking at your sig lines ...I got to wondering how long it would take for the gun laws to change in the usa if someone got in a shot up a bunch of congressmen ...
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Jazz,

Good point, probably about 2 milliseconds!

BTW, I like the quote about 100 times you know it ... except seems like I play it thousands of times and I still don't own it :evil: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (not that I'm counting but my wife probably feels like it is thousands :lol: )
  • Putting into perspective playing the same 2 bar phase at 120

That would take 1.1 hours of playing that same phrase no breaks no stops over and over and over ........