DjangoBooks.com

New Rosenberg Trio material?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 1,471
I'm on a very extended Rosenberg Trio bender, er, um, study, and looking for new CDs. I've got: Caravan, Live at New Morning, Live at North Sea, Gypsy Swing, Noches Calientes, Roots, Djangologists (with bonus tracks and DVD of in-studio), Seresta - 20th Yr. Celebration, Tribute to Stephane Grappeli.

I've also got the Live at Samois DVD.

Any faves among their remaining recordings? I've got now under consideration:

Rosenberg Trio Live, with Van Dijk Louis, Suenos Gitanos, Impressions (unlikely - seems generally unavailable and used is listing at $286!), Gipsy Summer.

I've also sought the North Sea DVD, no luck.

Anyway, a lot of these are available in CD only, so I can't preview very well. Recommendations?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    On that Roots album, there's a version of My Blue Heaven that's very cool.
    Swang on,
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Paul I have the North Sea Jazz Fest 94 DVD.

Is it no longer available? Can't remember where I got it but probably from Djangobooks
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    No, Bones, I think it's not in print any longer....see my lament here. From the individual tunes I've seen on youtube, looks like an incredible concert.
    -Paul

Just wanted to get this in, before it gets scooped up. The Rosenberg Trio's Impressions album is available.

For close to $3000. :shock:
    -Paul

• AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Roots seems to be out of stock everywhere. I've seen japanese (assumed)bootleg versions on amazon to ridiculous prices.
    It's just about impossible to find Fapy Lafertin recordings anywhere either. Rosenberg Trio and Fapy, top of my list but impossible to find the records.

The Rosenberg Trio records I have so far:

Seresta 20th anniversary edition
    Djangologists
    Impressions
    Gypsy Summer

"Caravan" is available at Djangobooks store, but for the price of $45 I'll be checking the other options.

This is an unfortunate situation for those of us who are completely obsessed with this music and want to have the complete collection of the recordings by the masters.

Spotify is good, but there's not the novelty of owning the physical album and have it in the collection.
    Amund, can't recall if I just got the .mp3s or the physical CD (understand you there - I prefer the physical CD as well, unless it's not available), but I got Roots (mp3, $5.99), Tribute to Stephane Grappelli ($10.97), Caravan ($6.42), etc., all from Amazon, just by waiting it out. I'm sorry, I'm ignorant on licensing matters, and don't know if you can't buy from Amazon US for some reason, but just wanted to FYI all these (and others) I got fairly easily (from Amazon (US)).

The Fapy double CD, if you haven't gotten it, a re-master/re-release of '94 and '96 Hungaria and Swing Guitars, is wonderful. I got it directly from[url]=http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10560 LeJazzetal, Dave Blackie[/url].
    -Paul

I think all Fapy records are out of stock at Djangobooks, and I have no luck finding them elsewhere. I was looking for Fapy records recently, and ordered "Fine and Dandy" along with my usual shipment of strings. I was refunded because it was out of stock even though the store didn't reflect that. Same thing happened earlier when I tried to order "Roots" here. The store didn't say it was out of stock, but I was refunded after the order was placed.

Of course I don't mean to speak bad about Michael and his business in any way, because I am grateful beyond words for the service he provides. Just pointing out that he needs to update the store so it can accurately reflect what is in stock and what is not.

When I've found Fapy and Rosenberg Trio records at Amazon, they are usually used and ridiculously priced. I'll pay $25 for a CD if it's one I can't live without, but $30 and up is a dealbreaker for me. I found "Roots" priced at around $60 at amazon IIRC, and that's just too much. I'll rather wait and enjoy it on Spotify until I can find a better option.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 1,471
    Amund, I learned awhile back to roll with some of the punches, re: Michael's store. As I understand it, he's a one man show, and doesn't have some sort of automatic inventory control system, that updates his pages - something I think he does manually, and yeah, occasionally I've ordered something that is out of stock, either temporarily or just not available. My experience is that Michael is always responsive to queries, so if it's something I really need (or want), no issues with just contacting him to ensure it's in stock, before ordering.

To be honest, I know I'm not one of his most active customers (that ends when I acquire that 1972 Busato Favino Selmer I've long been hunting :D ), but I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Michael (entirely too much music last DIJ, with a credit card and license given by my wife to be an itinerant, bachelor musician for a week!). Especially given the wealth in friendships and learning I've gleaned from this forum, the occasional bumps I might have experienced in ordering - I should say these really have been few and far between, and after learning more the nature of his store, it's no issue at all to me, now - pale when compared to everything else Michael's done just by creating and stewarding this site.

On acquiring music, I really don't mean to be naive...but can you not buy from Amazon US? For instance, I'm looking now, and Roots (as an mp3 download) is available for $4.99 US...! The physical CD is available new for $26.05, used for $18.99. Fapy'sFine and Dandy is available as an .mp3, for $7.99; the double CD I mentioned earlier goes for $17.98 (mp3), $33.95, physical CD (or, I think, just acquire it from lejazzetal directly - which I think is how I got this brilliant re-release).

Hope you're able to get this music. I hear you - mad for Fapy, Rosenbergs as well. DePiotto, Ferrets, modern waltz and swing masters in their own right, list goes on...but Fapy and the Rosenbergs seem to be my home heart.
    -Paul

You're spot on. If I didn't get across my respect for Michael adequately, then I apologize. I fully understand the difficulty of managing a business like that. I just wanted to give a heads up about it, so he can correct the errors and revise what is in stock and what is not.
    I want to add that I have nothing to complain about besides that. The prices are reasonable, and the package is usually shipped promptly. Usually the day after placing the order. He has also answered any questions I have quickly and accurately. So yeah, I give room for being human and making errors.

But the store adequately reflecting what is actually in stock is important.

I usually go to amazon dot com. I'll try dot us and see what I'll find. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Oh, no, Amund - and anyone else - I'm sorry if that's how it came across. Web communications can be so lousy sometimes, hard to convey nuance. Just sharing my experience as well, did not mean you were disrespectful, etc.

Hope the amazon leads help. Outside of a couple, I've had pretty good luck. Good luck!
    -Paul