DjangoBooks.com

Alternate vs Downstrokes for descending arpeggios

Comments

I know what you mean. in fact, when I say anchor I don't really mean that it's fixed to the guitar, simply that it brushes on the surface, either of the body or strings... All this does is makes it easier to gauge the height of the pick. I find it VERY hard to pick without this. presumably because I come from an electric guitar background.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    It's all about tone. Frank VIgnola, BB King, Django Reinhardt... all different background and styles, but they all play downstrokes.
    I have to admit I am stuck to doing only downstrokes, and I agree that it certainly makes a huge difference when playing ascending vs descending.
    Stochelo, Fapy, Tchavolo all play downstrokes, and Bireli and most of the prodigies from the Selmer 607 project mix it up... Just know that you'll achieve a different tone, depending on your picking style.
    Considering that most of us aren't playing only Gypsy but have integrated it with other styles, I think it's great to be able to master both. But the Gypsy style is downstrokes no matter what.
    - JG
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    About picking triplets:
    Of course you can alternate.
    Gypsy Style will be DUD DUD DUD.
    - JG
    I just had a look at this video of Yorgui,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokJ5yYTVHk

if you slow down to 0.25x speed and watch some of the fast bits, I"m not convinced that he's using a strictly downstroke for new strings approach. In fact, in the first descending triplet run I"m convinced that he uses strictly alternate picking. I also wanted to ask if anyone knows exactly what he is playing in the B section? I tried to replicate this, but it doesn't appear to be only triplets, it seems like a bit of a mix of triplets and then strait 16s. It's also VERY hard to work out how he is picking this section.

I also watched some of the licks on Clement Reboul's youtube channel and noticed the same use of alternate picking for fast runs.

for me this would make the most sense, since I know I won't ever be able to play 16th notes with multiple downstrokes at 180BPM, whereas I already spent many years honing my alternate picking to be able to do that.

if I had to make a choice now, I would probably opt for strict gypsy picking wherever possible, but when the tempo dictated I would use alternate, and as a lot of people have already said, engineer the licks in such a way that allows you to do that while still sticking to downstrokes on new strings.
  • djamiedjamie New
    [quote="furryboffin"]I just had a look at this video of Yorgui,

[url=

if you slow down to 0.25x speed and watch some of the fast bits, I"m not convinced that he's using a strictly downstroke for new strings approach. In fact, in the first descending triplet run I"m convinced that he uses strictly alternate picking. I also wanted to ask if anyone knows exactly what he is playing in the B section? I tried to replicate this, but it doesn't appear to be only triplets, it seems like a bit of a mix of triplets and then strait 16s. It's also VERY hard to work out how he is picking this section.

I also watched some of the licks on Clement Reboul's youtube channel and noticed the same use of alternate picking for fast runs.

for me this would make the most sense, since I know I won't ever be able to play 16th notes with multiple downstrokes at 180BPM, whereas I already spent many years honing my alternate picking to be able to do that.

if I had to make a choice now, I would probably opt for strict gypsy picking wherever possible, but when the tempo dictated I would use alternate, and as a lot of people have already said, engineer the licks in such a way that allows you to do that while still sticking to downstrokes on new strings.[/quote]

It's funny you should say that because I've been learning this, well the Romane version, but most of the licks are very similar as you can imagine.

This descending arpeggio starting at 1:06, or at 1:11 in Romane's [

-7-8-9-10-7----------------------------------7-10--
    --------------8------------------------------8--------
    ----------------7--------------------------7----------
    ------------------9-------0--------0----9------------
    --------------------10-7-------------10--------------
    -----------------------------3-7-3--------------------

...is very difficult to play up to speed.

I didn't actually know it was possible to downstroke that fast.

Maybe I'll change the lick around so it's slightly easier.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Furry,

How do you get .25x speed?

Thanks
  • Watch Stochelo playing multiple downstrokes t ridiculously fadt tempos. Even I can do em at 180. It just took about 3 years to get there. :mrgreen:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Watch Stochelo playing multiple downstrokes t ridiculously fadt tempos. Even I can do em at 180. It just took about 3 years to get there. :mrgreen:

This. It just takes time, effort and perseverance.

A shortcut is not worth compromising authenticity IMO.
  • djamiedjamie New
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Watch Stochelo playing multiple downstrokes t ridiculously fadt tempos. Even I can do em at 180. It just took about 3 years to get there. :mrgreen:

180 is quick, I've got about 30bpm to go haha I'm using you as motivation
  • For the first several months of learning this style of picking I played everything downstroke only.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed