DjangoBooks.com

three cheers for Andrew Lawrence!

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
OK, it's Monday, I'm just back from Django in June and trying to get my sleep cycle and blood alcohol level back to the "normal" range.

But during my long solo car ride back home, listening to some magnificent music by Fapy and Oscar Aleman, I got to thinking about the difference that just one person can make in making the world a better place... in this case a wiry, charming gentleman from Northampton MA.

During my teaching career, I was often struck by how much influence over the entire school our principal made... if that one person was a good leader, all sorts of wonderful things seemed to happen, apparently all by themselves! But if that one person was a not-so-good leader, all sorts of not-so-good things seemed to happen.

Andrew obviously has the kind of leadership that has led to the creation of something very special that has been appreciated by participants ranging on the scale from "North American total newbie" to "European virtuoso", and all the rest of us who fall somewhere between those extremes.

He has created a friendly supportive community of players/enthusiasts, an atmosphere I would call a "douce ambiance"... and having listened to his introduction of one of the evening concerts, I was struck to learn that this philosophy of "community of learners" is the exact concept he has always based his efforts on, both for his own "community guitar" day gig as well as "Django in June".

As the wonderful Dutch "old school" player Rino van something told me, "I knew I was going to have a good time here, I just didn't know HOW good!"

Andrew, this is a little embarrassing, but it's got to be said... "I LOVE YOU, MAN!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank you, Andrew.
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I second that, hats off to Andrew for the best Django in June yet! Those of you who attended the first one, ten years ago, can appreciate how big this event has become. From a few dozen guys trying to play minor swing on flatops to hundreds jamming for days, often with gems from Michael B's fine instrument collection in hand. As Will said, even seasoned Europeans like Rino from The Netherlands (who grew up playing with Stochelo) couldn't believe how much fun DJiJ is.

May there be many more.....

M
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    And it's worth pointing out that Andrew kept it awesome (and made it even more awesome) despite the attendance growing from 100 to 200 people this year. It kept its intimacy and approachability even with many more attendees.

HOORAY for Andrew!

Adrian
  • jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    Ditto to all comments. A great DIJ 10th year anniversary, and hats off to Andrew.

While we witnessed what could be considered the most brilliant display of stringed instrument GJ mastery assembled in North America to date, the aural memory I think will stay with me longest is the voice of Tcha Limberger! I can't imagine ever listening to "Confessin" again in the same way.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Yup. It was a GREAT Django in June to say the least. I LOVED the new venue for the performance, and I was AMAZED at how uncrowded it felt with twice the students as last year !

Anthony
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    You're right, Jim. I'm gonna transcribe what he sings and steal it for my guitar solo. Sheer genius.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Oh, and as for Andrew (you know, the subject of this thread) I can't say enough wonderful things. I wish my work/school schedule had allowed me to make this trip sooner but I couldn't have had a better experience than this one. It was simply enormous.
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    My first time there and I was hono(u)red to be asked to be a teacher. I had a wonderful time, everyone was so cool and friendly, Andrew has put together a fantastic event!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Had a wonderful time even though some members of the teaching staff *** ahem *** did go a bit over the top with the 2 am jam sessions... Won't mention any names though...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    Sounds great. I will definitely be there next year, can't wait!
    I'm pretty struck by how one man can pull off such an event completely flawlessly. Not a single detail overlooked. Amazing organizing skills. And I was lucky to hear Andrew play on Sun noon, played a wonderful solo over...hmmm...could've been "it had to be you". He said it was the first time he picked up a guitar for the whole week.

And Tcha...I was standing close to him for a couple of minutes after a show at the Academy.
    Wanted to give a compliment but everything I was to say seemed so inappropriately small compared to how I felt about what I heard just earlier. So I ended up not saying anything, felt even more like a schmuck.
    Never in my life have I seen someone who's entire being is so immersed in music like him.
    He's like a Tesla of musicians, what science was to Tesla, music is to Tcha.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel