DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara & Adrien Moignard - Clasico

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Oh boy, mine shipped yesterday!!!
  • ArcticguitarArcticguitar Anchorage, Alaska
    Bob,

I've been listening to this album over and over since picking it up at DIJ. It really blew me away how musical these guys are. Far from being a shred fest this thing is a musicianship fest, with just enough shredding to make the guitar player in me happy. I had a similar experience to yours on hearing minor blues, but it was their take on Swing 42 that really knocked my socks off. It also really shows why the "standards" are standards. These tunes are deep and can be re-interpreted a million different ways, sometimes I forget that in my playing and in my listening. The playing error is an obvious thing that we all do, but the listening error is that sometimes I gloss over an album because it is standards. Standards become boring because we as players get lazy and play them the same way over and over. I really like the Clasico album because they manage to play new interpretations without being too new. It's hard to describe the line here, but these guys nailed it, if you push too hard against a standard you lose the familiar aspects of it that we all love, if you don't push hard enough it becomes "just another version of....". These guys really nailed it.

Adam
    BucoVebjørn
  • Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    Adam,
    What you are saying reminds me of a patrus video of a lesson Gonzalo is doing sure he talks about how to play well for not too long, throwing in something the audience may not be expecting because its a "standard". You hit it right in the head.
    _nyk
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Classic but with a modern flair!

I think Django would be very proud of these young guys!
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    It's a fun recording, repeated listening is a bit harsh due to the barrage of notes...Gonzalo's never sounded better! I prefer Adrien's playing on his own records All the Way & with Ensemble Zaiti or Selmer 607...

Listening to Fapy & Lollo on their Plachterida CD - a nice contrast to Adrien & Gonzalo...more melodic exchanges between the 2 guitarists.

Classico is a fun recording nonetheless
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Phil, I have Plachterida on my short list, funny timing. I'm also at a crossroads. I tend to prefer physical CDs as I prefer liner notes. It's also nice to listen to the CD uncompressed. I'm finding, though, that alot of CDs don't have much in them, in terms of notes. Is this the case with Placherida?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    edited July 2013 Posts: 795
    I wonder why liner notes are not provided with commercially downloaded recordings. It would seem an easy thing to do.

Clasico is a great recording. Yes, quite a few notes there, but after a number of listenings, I can now hear most of them, have a few more to go, ha, ha.

Thanks for mentioning Plachterida, I'd missed that one. I love the two guitar format, look forward to hearing this one.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why liner notes are not provided with commercially downloaded recordings. It would seem an easy thing to do.

Clasico is a great recording. Yes, quite a few notes there, but after a number of listenings, I can now hear most of them, have a few more to go, ha, ha.

Thanks for mentioning Plachterida, I'd missed that one.

Yep, totally agreed, Craig, on downloads. Don't know why this isn't done.

"I can now hear most of them, have a few more to go..." - :D
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    For us Djangofiles, there is Djangostation.com whose reviews serve pretty well as liner notes and more.
  • XjaxXjax Boston
    I've only encountered one online music store that includes liner notes and graphics (hdtracks.com) but I haven't purchased from them very often. They offer standard CD quality (44.1khz/16bit) and higher resolution 96khz/24bit files along with album cover art jpgs and liner notes in pdf.

I'm off to go order Plachterida to hear what I'm missing.

Thanks,
    Christian