DjangoBooks.com

Radio Shack Lavelier Mic

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi all

I've got a number of these small mics - all pretty cheap compared to the more usual models, e.g. Audio Technica and they all work pretty well.

The thing to know is that usually these mics, being electret condenser need a small charge to enable them to work. Usually this is sourced from a battery either in the body of the mike or at the plug end - this is what the "on" switch is for. This only allows the mic diaphragm to send a signal out but does not amplify the signal at all.

If anyone is hoping that the phantom power option on the mic input of an amp would power this then you need to remember that phantom power is normally only supplied via a 3 pin XLR socket and not through jack socket inputs.

I am lucky enough enough to have a good acoustic amp with a great channel which lets me send the signal from one of these little mics and then amplify it, eq it and notch filter it until it sounds really good.
    Hope that helps
    Alan
    always learning
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Hi Crooked...are you saying that all I might need to amplify it is to get an XLR socket converter? In other words, being able to convert it from a 1/8 jack to XLR. If that's all it is I can buy one of those pretty cheap, but don't want to spend the extra money if it won't work. Any thoughts? 8)
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Sadly I don't think it's as simple as that for a couple of reasons. One is that the XLR is a 3 conductor connector and jacks tend to be two so - depending on the internal connections of the adapter - you might end up shorting out the phantom power/possible damaging the amp etc. Also phantom power is usually 48v, though some equipment can be lower, but the point is that these are higher voltages than typically applied to these mics ( usually about 1.5v ) and I don't know what effect the increased voltage might have on the condenser elements in these mics.

Normally these little mics have some filtering electronics so that only audio signals are passed to the receiving amp or pa. I'll try to post a diagram of my set ups as soon as I can so it's clearer . Hope that's ok.
    A.
    always learning
  • Thought I'd report back that I'm very happy with this little cheap mic. I've used it only for restaurant gigs with no PA, pretty low volume guitar duo through amps, and I think it's perfectly sufficient. I'm only playing rhythm, for what it's worth.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Shawn
    I'm not much smarter on electronics than you. Always intimidated, so I'm just saying what I think is true.
    I don't think you can snip the wire coming from the mic on an audio technica (AT), and just convert in to a 1/4" phono jack. I think one or two of the wires just bring juice to and from a proprietary (you can only get it from AT) 5" long, thick black "half cigar" shaped tubular thing with an XLR on one end that plugs into a Phantom source. There may be a battery in the cigar also?
    Course, I may be talking about a different AE mic. I've used the one sold on in the store on this site labeled AT831B. That black box on Michaels AT831B and my cigar shaped thingy use three pronged jacks and may (can't remember) also have a battery in the box and or "cigar".
    I didn't study the adds before posting this. It may be clear from an add or better yet a manual as to what outboard thingies are that are necessary to get these AT laveliers running. I use one for vocals. Nice!
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Shawn wrote:
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm beyond an idiot when it comes to electronics, so I really don't know what I'm doing to be honest. I bought the mic for recording purposes on the computer, which it works great for, but I'd also like to be able to play it through an amp if possible. There is a little power switch on the mic which turns the mic "ON", so I assumed that functioned as a pre-amp, but I really don't have a clue. Are you thinking if I ran it through a pre-amp into an actual amp that it might do the trick? I don't own a pre-amp per se, so I might need to try this out at a guitar store beforehand to see if it works.

I read that these mics had the switch reversed for a while, when the switch was showing "on" it was actually "off".
    Other than that it will work in any amp as long as the battery is good. On the instrument input the mic will be a little quieter that's all.
    I'm not sure about the Audio Technica mics, but if they are similar to this Radio Shack one, then it gets it's needed power from the battery that's built in the cable. All condenser mics need power, and these small lavaliers have their own power supplies.
    The kind of adapter of a connector you're gonna put on it after the signal passes the power supply going from the mic doesn't matter, as long as it is connected correctly for the input you're sending it to it can be XLR, 1/4" or 1/8". Given that everything is operational past the power supply, if there's in no sound then the problem is in the connector or or the adapter.

I picked one up and the sound is fine but I get a boomy side effect and it starts feeding back pretty early. But it worked for our other guitarist on a gig when he needed a backup mic, though it was a quiet gig, we were just providing a mood music on a cocktail party.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Hi guys, the microphone is basically an Audio Technica ATR-3350. It's a fairly basic lavalier microphone and works perfectly fine when the sound is projected through the computer. However, Buco, it doesn't work in any acoustic amp...and I've tried multiple adapters so I'm still at a bit of a loss. Oh well...
    Only thing I can think of is I've seen some pictures of that mic with stereo jack and some with mono. If you have the one with stereo jack, it's possible that the right channel is shorting to the ground when you plug it in the amp with the adapter. That is if you're using 1/8"-1/4" mono adapter. If your mic is stereo, make sure you use 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono.

Buco
    Hmm...hadn't thought about that in all honesty Buco. Now the question arises of how do I tell the difference between mono and stereo jacks, taking into account that I'm a complete dummy with electronics?
    Visually you can't, our at least there is no obviously visible way of telling, safest way is pick one up. I'm my opinion if you're gonna spend more $ into a low cost mic, then better just pick up a radio shack mic, you can always return it if need be. But then you could return the adapter If need be as well...your pick.

B