DjangoBooks.com

Beginner at DIJ

Gene RaweGene Rawe ✭✭ Olivier Marin
edited January 2014 in North America Posts: 66
Hi,

How advanced is the playing at Django in June? I have been working away and was hoping to have the dozen or so suggested tunes down with both rhythm & leads. Im an intermediate player; will I be able to keep up in the workshops and jams? Is it broken down at all into level of play? What has been the experience of others?

Thanks

Comments

• You'll be completely fine in the classes as a beginner. If you know the basics...you might consider the level II classes. The teachers in that group last year were top notch. I hear that Adrian Holovaty's classes were top notch.
    From complete beginners to the world's best. The whole event is well organized in levels with both jams and classes. And everyone is having a good time, from the morning hours to the morning hours, but the next day, and then it starts over.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Just do yourself a favor and go.
  • Pretty much. Just go.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    There are rank amateurs and guys that will just blow you away, with everything in between. The djams kind of sort themselves out organically, there's no problem with finding a "level" to fit in at! For the workshops they were also broken into levels but this was kind of self-guided at DIJ 2013, and didn't work too well - maybe need some more ideas and better organisation in that respect.
  • I disagree. It is very well organized and it does steadily improve each year, as Andrew solicits advice after each event to improve the next year. Considering there is really nothing like DiJ that I am aware of, I find it difficult to offer negative criticism.

If you attend the week, the flow makes sense and you can get a sense of where you need to "be" in terms of your ability.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    On the first day I attended the level 3 classes and was surprised how many people more properly belonged (imho) in the level 1 or 2 classes according to the descriptors. After that I went to level 4 classes and didn't have any problems that I know of, expect where things got theory heavy. I'd like to think that those who had overestimated their skill level bumped themselves down, but I don't really know. Short of auditions or survivor style "voted out of the class" ridiculousness I'm not sure how else it could be arranged.

Anyway, that is not a gripe that a self-proclaimed beginner needs to worry about. Simply test the waters in level 1 or 2 classes before diving in to the higher levels. You are bound to find people near your level and will probably be learning as much in jams as in classes, anyway.
  • Well said, Kevin.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Madpiper - I would say that beginning and intermediate players get the best of everything. They tend to assign the most prepared teachers to teach the level 1 and 2 classes.
    Definitely go, you won't regret it.

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Late to the party here, but (speaking as somebody who will be attending his eighth Django in June in 2014) I just wanted to chime in to say you'll definitely find a place to fit in there. There are players of all skill levels, and the vibe is very friendly and welcoming. Do it!