DjangoBooks.com

Beginner at DIJ

2»

Comments

• Gene RaweGene Rawe ✭✭ Olivier Marin
    Thanks guys; I'll keep practicing and keep an eye on the website for registration details.
  • If you go I will see you there
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    Anyone know if the same comments apply to Djangofest Northwest? I'll be attending my first in September.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I've not been to DFNW, Mando, but seriously looked into it this last year (when that guy who plunks around a bit, Fapy-something, made his first US appearance...! ), and in part, asked some folks I respect a good deal, their thoughts on this very question. The take away I got, DIJ is a student's paradise - it's a week devoted to learning, learning, and more learning; in between, jams all day and night, and capped by performances in and around town. The only cause I had to venture off campus was to get dinner the first night (I arrived early, to settle in), to grab a couple bottles of wine and buy gifts for back home, and go to the wonderful concerts on Friday and Saturday nights.

DFNW, on the other hand, has the rap of being a place for lovers of this music, whether players or not; a beautiful locale with a big emphasis on performances, and a lesser emphasis on workshops and learning. One friend described it to me, as a place to go to see old friends in this music, but not necessarily the place to go prepared to devote 20ish hours a day working on playing the music.

That's my gist of it - hope I've gotten it right because as I said, I've not been to DFNW (and only went to my first DIJ in 2011 - had to miss last summer, never again, is my hope). DIJ is a truly special experience. Life changing, for me.

-Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    @Mandobart: Regarding DFNW, @Passacaglia's comment is right on. It's not the best place for learning the music in a structured way. It's more about the hanging out, jamming and watching concerts.

But with respect to the original questions ("How advanced is the playing?" and "will I be able to keep up?"), I think DFNW will definitely do the job. It's not as approachable as Django in June simply due to the different environment/expectations (and, anecdotally, fewer players), but it's still easy to join a jam and there are jams happening with different skill levels.

(I'm speaking as somebody who's been to both several times.)
    Mandobart
  • AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    Hi Gene and everybody!
    You've asked a good question and I think everyone has contributed something of value to the thread. As organizer of the event (and a guitar teacher, though not at DiJ) I'm very sensitive to the challenges faced by both teachers and students when the levels of the participants get too diverse. So we do our best to organize both the classes and facilitated jams into 4 levels, from novice through expert.

It's true though that, as Wim and others have alluded to, the success of this ultimately depends on the cooperation of the people involved. This is not a conservatory -- it's a music camp that people come to for fun. Neither I nor the teachers have a big stick (say, the threat of a "failing" grade) to hold over anyone's head. So if someone wants to join a class that's too advanced for them, they have that option. (Hopefully, as an auditor.) I guess I hope two things will keep that from being too big a problem: (1) I hope the teachers will feel empowered to teach to the class' level and find a gentle way to let the person know that they might do better in a lower level class and (2) I hope folks will realize they'll have a better experience by working at their own true level.

As others have said, I think a self-professed newbie such as yourself is best positioned in this regard. Start low and "graduate" yourself if things are moving too slow. Can't miss with that approach...plus you'll meet a lot of fine folks along the way who are looking for a slow-djam that way!

I'm always open to ideas for improvement in this area...it's important. But folks do have to realize that their "solution" can't involve heavy handedness. It just doesn't fit either the structure or the spirit of the event.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Django in June
    MichaelHorowitzBucowim
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    You should go regardless of your level. I don't know if folks have already said it but the jamming before, between, and after the proper classes is the best thing about the event - that and the people, which are two sides of the same coin really.

I have trouble imagining a gypsy jazz player who wouldn't love it. Andrew strikes a great balance of structure and freedom and like others have said, the people are great.