DjangoBooks.com

DIJ 2014 rumours?

2»

Comments

• AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    Hi Folks...sorry I missed this thread. This is my busiest time of year pre-event. I'll try to have the website updated by Monday the 27th and start registration right away.
    All the info I see above is accurate. In 2014 we'll host:
    Les Doigts de l'Homme (all 5!)
    Christophe & Deborah Lartilleux
    Samson Schmitt
    Philippe 'Doudou' Cuillerier
    Tim Kliphuis
    Aurelien Trigo
    Don Stiernberg (mando)
    Denis Chang
    ...and a bunch of other folks.

Our host Michael H. will be here (I assume) with all the merch and expertise you could hope for. I'm expecting to have a couple luthier's on campus with us. Patrus will be here. Who knows what/who else...

I do hope you can join us. I'm expecting (truth be told, I'm counting on) a big crowd and big fun! Thanks for your interest...
    ~Andrew
    Django in June
    MichaelHorowitzkevingcox
  • Matt MitchellMatt Mitchell ✭✭✭
    is DIJ a decent place to buy a guitar?
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Matt -- it's definitely a great place to try a wide variety of gypsy-jazz guitars! Generally there's a small handful for sale.

Depending on where you live (proximity to gypsy-jazz guitars for sale) and your tolerance for buying guitars sight-unseen online, DIJ could be a great place to buy a guitar.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    What a List…
    Definite gotta go for me. Looks like I'll be coming with two instruments my Guitar and with Don Stiernberg (mando) teaching my mando needs to be there too. I've been wanting to go somewhere he'd be teaching for years I love his playing. I played mostly mandolin for about ten years straight, hardly any guitar till I started messing with Gypsy Jazz now I seldom play the Mandolin. Wish there were two of me to take in all the workshops.

I'll be great to meet all you cyber friends in person.

pick on

pickitjohn
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Oh man ... I'm so excited to study with Olivier and also to catch up with all my new friends from last year. This is gonna be a blast!!

@Matt you should ask Rino to bring one for you, he sold one at DIJ last year.. His guitars are terrific!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Maybe we can get Angelo Debarre next year!!
    The Angelos and Tchavolos and Stochelos would probably bust the budget. I think Andrew does just fine with the "B list" player/teachers that he brings in. They're only B list in the sense that they don't have the name recognition of the really big players, but they are world class by anyone's definition.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    The whole question of whether Big Names are the best choice for DiJ is an interesting one. I love the playing of Angelo, Bireli, Stochelo, etc as much as anyone. But so far, my preference in hiring has tilted strongly toward people who are really happy to hear from me when I first contact them: folks who often have heard good things about the event and who are maybe even a little surprised that I know about THEM. My hunch (and this has generally been born out) is that this same enthusiasm will be reflected in the way the artist treats our campers. Our focus is not primarily on performances -- though I make no apologies for our concerts on the weekend -- it's on instruction and jamming, and I want the artists on staff to enjoy doing just that...with everyone. As Ben (Klaatu) points out, it turns out there are a LOT of really superb players who fit that bill and who don't force us to increase our cost dramatically.

As the event evolves, who knows, maybe it will make sense to invite the best known players of the genre. But the more I hear about why people come back to DiJ again and again, the less I think that matters. Often people come away most excited about having made a connection with really skilled and generous players they'd never heard of before.

My 2 centimes,
    ~Andrew
    Django in June
    wimMichaelHorowitzadrianMichael BauerBucokevingcox