DjangoBooks.com

Tortoise picks SOLD!!!!!!! Red Bear picks FS

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @TPC168 Tim thanks for the testimony on the pick….
    looking forward to getting mine.
    Your Avatar picture, I guess being B & W has that old school look and feel.
    Wondering if that is you or someone I should recognize, and what kind of guitar is that?

pick on

pickitjohn
  • Pickitjohn, that picture is from Retrofret's website. They sell vintage guitars and stringed instruments in NY. I believe they have old pictures, postcards, etc.-- music related for sale too. Interesting archtop. Not sure of the make.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Cool!!!

So your the LUCKY Bob Holo Cedar Nouveau owner

Love your Archive page & Photo's

pick on
    pickitjohn
  • Thank you pickitjohn. Your Pattenote looks great!
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Wow. Nice looking picks. I just bought a handful of Wegens to try. I have used tortoise for bluegrass but have generally ended up using dunlop ultex for guitar and blue chip for mando. How do the tortoise picks do for GJ. Louder? Crisper? I guess I always found them a bit too stiff to feel comfortable for bluegrass. But GJ always uses a thicker pick. Just curious.
    TPC168 wrote: »
    Blue Chips can't compare.
    Dude don't say that please. I thought I was done.
    Seriously though, you've played and used both?
    Compared to bluechip, where/why do you favor these?

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 93
    Well, I guess I should have given some context to that statement. I have owned many blue chips. I still use a TAD 80 for electric playing. I shouldn't have dissed them, in reality they are great picks. The control, playability is stellar and I find the tone very good. However, when playing an acoustic instrument, be it a great archtop, manouche style, etc., I feel tortoise (especially Lollo's designs) is just on a whole different level. Tortoise is warm and round in tone, and it really brings out your guitar's character. Blue Chip and the others just sort of sound like plastic, to me, on a high end instrument. The trick is finding the right size, bevel, being able to shape it to your liking, and it requires a bit, very little, of maintenance (I polish mine, buff from time to time).
    Hey thanks for details.
    Bluechip is the first pick I used that significantly altered the tone of my guitar to what I wanted to hear come out of it.
    That's why I reacted like that, I can't see something else being that much better.
    I see the points on Lollo picks are rounded and the bluechip pick I use, the SR60 is similar in shape.
    I'd love to hear the Lollo pick, hopefully we'll meet somewhere someday.
    Then I'd gladly pay the price tag given the chance.
    Does Lollo make these regularly or it's once in a while kind of thing?

Thanks!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited February 2014 Posts: 936
    @buco where did you get that fancy Buco Gypsy Jazz Pick?

I was hoping the pick would show up today. Gonna be out of town for a week so I'm sure it'll be here when I get back.
    I agree that the bluechip just gets a better tone for me. I play with a TAD 80 mostly. I gotta have a pick at least as big as a quarter. That's why I requested the pictures with a quarter. Don't care much for a pointy pick and usually turn them so I play with the round side.
    As soon as I try out the pick I will post my findings.

pick on

pickitjohn
    @teyoung Tood... & @TPC168 Tim...

Thanks for posting the ad and the recommendation.
    Pick arrived. just had a short time testing it, Very Pleased and surprised. There is a difference in the tone compared with the BlueChip it's subtle.
    Tortoise is warm and round in tone, and it really brings out your guitar's character. Blue Chip and the others just sort of sound like plastic, to me, on a high end instrument.

Not the easiest thing to describe but there's a slight Click using the Bluechip that disappears when using the Lollo pick. Looking forward to some extended playing to further sort the difference out and report back.

Thanks again :-bd

Is the other pick sold? I saw someone P. M. you about it.

pick on
    pickitjohn