DjangoBooks.com

New direction

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I'm familiar with Howard in fact I saw him a few weeks ago in a duo with a former teacher of mine Jack Wilkens. Howard knows a lotta stuff ! Any one can learn from Mr. Alden. Fact is your going to learn what you want to learn and you should.
    The difference is stark between electric guitarists and acoustic guitarists. Realize that Howard and Jack are electric guitar players who use instruments that appear to be acoustic guitars but are not. They aren't set up for acoustic play and in fact aren't intended for that purpose .
    So ? Thats the real difference as I see it , or at least one of the differences.
    Electric guitar is good, you just have to understand the limitations your imposing on your self . Similarly acoustic guitars that are intended to be used as such, not electro/acoustics , impose limitations.
    Advantages and disadvantages a balance of factors.
    If you so desire you can play solo repertoire on a GJ guitar. I've been playing chord melody arrangements I wrote for finger style , actually classic guitar, on the GJ guitar for the last year or so. You can do it.
    If you have never played with your fingers I encourage you to do so, its one of the most satisfying methods of playing guitar.
    Picks have their charms as well !
    On and on it goes. :D
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I hear you, Al, and in fact it's sorta strange (cue theme from "The Outer Limits") my wife is actually urging me to buy an electric guitar! In fact, if it were up to her, I'd be buying a seven string guitar because she'd like me to sound EXACTLY like Howard!

I may eventually go electric, though probably not seven-string, but first I'm going to try and see what I can do with a gypsy guitar.

Howard's tone on his Benedetto is nice, but a lot of electric jazz guitarists have that dead sound that seems like it's coming from underwater or something... I never want to sound like that!

When I was in Paris last year, I heard a bunch of great players at the Chope Aux Puces playing both electrics and SelMacs, so I had a chance to compare.... to me there's just no guitar that sounds as magical as a gypsy guitar.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Learning to play well, improvise unaccompanied and be truly self sufficient is the best and hardest thing you can do on guitar (or any instrument). It will make everything you play stronger and more clear, and will plumb new depths of creativity and variety in your idea of how to present a song. Learn lots of tunes, figure out how to make them work in a bunch of feels and tempos, and play for lots of people (easy to organise as no one else's schedules or tastes to complete with). Check out Peter Bernstein's solo album - out of this world.

The only problem with solo playing is the loneliness. One good reason to play with others is to have someone to talk to in the set breaks.
    Thanks, Jon. I'll have to admit to never having heard of Peter Bernstein, but I checked out a couple of YouTube videos.

Hes obviously a great player, way more modern than what I usually like to listen to but I really liked was the tone he got from his electric guitar, very woody and traditional-sounding... If I ever do buy an electric guitar, I want one that sounds like that!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Didn't Howard have a seven string grande bouche made?
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey Will,

Does this mean I won't see you at DIJ this year ?

Anthony
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Once again the question," is a clarinet louder than a guitar?" has been answered with a resounding,"yes!" .
    adrianMattHenry
    Yeah, buddy, sorry but I doubt I'll be coming this year... but who knows?

Hey, did you ever buy that electric guitar you were talking about in another thread?

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Sorry I won't see you this year !

Yes I bought an epiphone riviera, which I quite enjoy playing, except for the fact that due to noise constraints, I play it about 3 times as often as my Alta Mira ... So whenever I play my Alta Mira, it takes getting used to again, since the epiphone is about 4 times easier to play.

Cheers

Anthony
    Do you string it up with Argies?