DjangoBooks.com

My NEW Rodrigo Shopis!

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
Last year I was fortunate to be able to buy a beautiful '77 Favino, but unfortunately I didn't really have the money on hand, so I had to do some unnatural acts with an investment account. To put the money back, I started selling off gypsy guitars, and one that I foolishly let go was a D'Artagnan Model S (for Selmer) D hole that Rodrigo built for me in 2011. In time, I really began to miss that guitar, so I got in touch with Rodrigo late last year about building a new one.

This time around, I had come up with some new thoughts - still wanted a D hole, but not the huge gaping Selmer style. Rodrigo has likened D holes without resonators to "rooms without furniture," an apt description. The small Favino & Castelluccia D holes seemed much more appealing and less likely to create a booming effect. We decided to go with a Favino D hole and pickguard as in this photo of Matelo Ferre:
3d984f4ba4cfe8a0c5e8c26ad8147b.jpg

The guitar shares these characteristics with the one Rodrigo built for Ted Gottsegen recently, which is a Favino sized 12 fret long scale (mine is Selmer sized 14 fret long scale). Rodrigo is calling Ted's " Le Gros Chien" after Maurice Ferre; I suggested that he call this one "Le Petit Chien."

For the top, I chose redwood, after seeing a photo of the stunning D hole that Rodrigo built for Stephane Wrembel:
b686d9f416aeafc0e3304664e3037c.jpg

And finally 50-year-old Honduran rosewood for the back and sides, with Rodrigo's special hand brushed varnish which is very light and allows the woods freedom to move.

Bless his heart, Rodrigo finished the guitar in time to deliver it to me in person at Django in June. It created a small sensation. Several of the professionals played it and loved it, including Samson Schmitt and Olivier Kikteff. It is a masterwork, featuring Rodrigo's customary impeccable workmanship, and the sound is gorgeous, very warm and rich but with a nice gypsy bite. The D hole gives it a nice low end which is nonetheless tight and not at all boomy. As with all of Rodrigo's guitars, it sounds lovely when played softly, but as you dig into it, it seems to go into overdrive and never wimps out.

It is already starting to open up (suppose Samson and Olivier's playing it had anything to do with that?) and will only get better over time.

Here are some photos:
aa80dec135ebed4622e31a50250dec.jpg
653c6b6075a750549ddb102ce39012.jpg

William Brunard playing it:
20e93bb19867f4f5636c97045aa6b4.jpg

If any of my videos turn out I'll post them as well.

Anyone want to buy a fabulous '77 Favino? Not sure I need it any more.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles
pickitjohnjonpowlMichaelHorowitzJSantacavemusicmwaddell000JHAnchors

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited June 2014 Posts: 936
    @klaatu

What a Beautiful Guitar very well done post. Loved all the great pictures. Congratulations, may it surpass your grandest expectations and move you to your best playing.

Thanks for the post from Django in June the forums get less busy with all that picking being done there. :-c

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • I had the pleasure of playing it late Saturday night (or early Sunday morning). What a beautiful guitar...
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    Every Rodrigo's guitar I played were great instruments, and this one is no exception.

• ArcticguitarArcticguitar Anchorage, Alaska
    Love your guitar. It was nice to meet you and, briefly have our own little Shopis-fest. Your guitar reminded me of this django re: his selmer "...all the Americans wish they could play on this guitar! At least it's got tone, you can hear the chords like you can on the piano. Don't talk to me any more about their tinpot guitars! Listen to this, it speaks like a cathedral.".

Adam
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Hey Adam,

It was great meeting you, too, and hearing your stories of Alaska. Almost makes one want to move there. Oh yeah, except for the extreme cold and the insane politics! Then again, Canada is no picnic.

Funny you mention the Django quote - one of the first people to hear the new guitar said "That thing sounds like a grand piano!"
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    Really fantastic looking guitar! For some reason recently, I've very much enjoyed (visually) when this style of guitar has the pickguard. I first saw it on Stephane Wrembel's Holo guitar, and it looks great on yours as well. Congrats!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yeah, a tastefully done pickguard can really help set a guitar off from the pack. A lot of Favinos had them, mine being one.
    f50915814b16cdff7cba16aa6fdd68.jpg
    JSanta
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I have to congratulate old friend Rodrigo on this, perhaps his best guitar (although he claims Teddy G has even a better one), and one of the very best modern guitars I have ever played. I regret that I didn't get to spend enough time with it, although I did get to hear it quite a bit in the hands of others. And Benny, my BFAM, you are one fortunate SOB to have this guitar! You have been through so many searching for the perfect one, and this looks like the keeper. I can't wait to hear it after a year of seasoning!

Someone commented on it's piano-like qualities, and I agree. In that way, it reminded me of a 1930's Busato I used to have. Every note was so pure and clear! I was playing it late one night and my wife came out to complain that someone was playing piano. Benny's Shopis is like that! You hit the jackpot, my brother!

I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Thanks, Michael, my bro. Rodrigo just keeps getting better and better. I can't imagine Teddy's guitar is better than this one, but even if it is soundwise, I'm happier with this model. The size, the woods, and the 14 frets to the body are just what I want. I think I've finally come to realize, after much trial and error, that Rodrigo's guitars are the right choice for me. I honestly don't think my Favino - which was my "dream guitar" a year ago - is going to get much playing time from here on in, as wonderful as it is.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Here's a video from Django in June 2014, with the illustrious Denis Chang, guitarist, teacher, and cookie monster, doing his best Justin Bieber impression.

Benny

-- Orson Welles