DjangoBooks.com

My NEW Rodrigo Shopis!

2»

Comments

• Ohhhh yessssss.....happy for you Benito
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Hello, apologies for resurrecting this thread. I've been gone many years and was pretty amped to see the thread, Klaatu. One of my greatest regrets was to sell my Shopis, though it made sense at the time and may always make sense, given challenges in playing. I just loved it and hope I can warrant playing another one.

You've really intrigued me. I had the Favino body and standard D-Hole. Many players loved it, with Alfonso Ponticelli describing it as a "cannon." That was the general sentiment.

I'll never do lead. Which is great, because I truly love rhythm playing and want to plumb its depths, if nature allows me to try again.

Before the Shopis, I had the Gitane D-300, the Jorgenson, which Michael describes as "crunchy." I can't remember how it sounded. Just enjoyed it, and again a lot of players I jam with, pros, were pretty positive on the guitar.

This is all coming around to my deep appreciation for your guitar, and I had two questions, mainly. I may have Rodrigo's contact somewhere - but is he still building guitars? And how would you describe this, in terms of a dedicated rhythm guitar (and....um....the odd chance I'll hit a note or two every now and then)?

I don't know if you're still around, but if you're not, it's good to be back and hope to catch you again. It's been pretty wonderful to connect with a couple of friends from "back then."

My Shopis:

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia

Hey - Yes, I'm still around, and I still have that Shopis guitar.

Rodrigo is still building. He's built guitars for various members of the Schmitt family in recent years. His guitars are awesome as both rhythm and lead instruments. If I were a rhythm player, I would not hesitate to have him build me one.

He's got a newer model patterned after the great Di Mauro F holes. I wish I had the money to commission one.

HIs e-mail is [email protected]

I know that he has been very occupied with caring for his elderly mother for some time, but I believe he has moved all of his equipment to that location, so he should still be in business. If you write him, tell him that Ben Robertson said hello.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles

Thanks Benny. I don't know if you remember me but it's great to see your posts and your message now. Stay well, friend.

-Paul

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia

Thanks, and same to you. We're struggling with the recent horrific killings here in Nova Scotia, on top of the COVID-19 crisis. But we'll get through this.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles

Oh god, Benny. I saw the picture and was saddened to see the death of Cst. Stephenson over the weekend. I'm ashamed to admit now that I'm so burnt and despondent about so many things that I went on another of a million news fasts. I wasn't aware until you mentioned this and reading this evening what the story actually was. I'm so very, very sorry. Such an evil thing rips at the heart of the nation, and I truly grieve for you and your fellow Canadians. Obviously never a good time, but that it's now, when we face this pandemic.

Hoping all of you can come together in strength and healing, Benny. You're in my thoughts.

JHAnchors
    -Paul

• BonesBones Moderator

Hey Paul, welcome back!

Yes so sorry to hear about the news from Nova Scotia. What the heck is wrong with people? So much pain and suffering in the world why do these knuckleheads have to add more.

Not to take from Ben's thread, but great to see you, Bones and thanks for the welcome!

-Paul

Thanks, Paul. This sort of thing is not supposed to happen in Canada any more, and especially not in sleepy rural Nova Scotia. The worst previous mass killing in the country was the 1989 Montreal Massacre (14 dead), and that resulted in tightening of gun laws. We are stunned, but we are resilient people and will get through it, although we may not ever be quite the same. Once your feeling of safety is compromised, there's no going back.

Benny

-- Orson Welles

Yeah, I'm so sorry, Benny. For us here, all these shootings over the last few years, what with everything else, waking every day with a sense of dread. I do, anyway - "what's going to happen today?"

In our own small way, on such an evil thing happening in your placid area, I hear you. I'm in Madison, WI, a university town, but quaint and peaceful, farmland everywhere around within 15 minutes, though the headquarters UW is here, as well as our capitol.

A block from our house, just a few weeks ago, a double homicide. Husband and wife, she an angel, a GP who ran a clinic nearby and made sure she provided access to underserved people, who didn't have means. She was well loved, in reading about her. Her husband was a respected education consultant.

They had a foster daughter. Turns out there was a family tiff of some sort, and the daughter told the boyfriend, "I know how we can get a lot of money."

And you know how it finished. The murderer was a very normal kid, high school football, my son knew him tangentially as they both went to the same high school. Girlfriends, no anti-social markers, etc.

So we feel shaken, and different, now. This is lakeside and we always walk there. I used to walk with my son for early morning walks, the time of the shooting.

Back when I had a body that worked, I taught tactical defense to woman's groups, among others. The main thing I conveyed in the short seminars was the means to adopt a ready state - not red, freaking, but orange, a relaxed but very aware state of readiness.

It's a shame we can't in our lives just maintain a kind of blue happy state. Maybe riverside cafe, Samois. We who are friends and who care just have to keep trying.

Sending strength, Benny.

-Paul