DjangoBooks.com

Gyspy Jazz Festivals in the US

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    How feasible is it to do the hat-trick of DFNW, DIJ, and Samois all in June? Is there any overlap?
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    How feasible is it to do the hat-trick of DFNW, DIJ, and Samois all in June? Is there any overlap?

I think you mean DF Mill Valley, which has always been right before DiJ.

The trip you've proposed is totally feasible, and I schedule DiJ before Samois in part so that west-coasters can do just that. I think the three events compliment each other really well. All different, all good.

Yes sorry that's the one I meant, the one before DIJ. I've done DIJ -> Samois a couple of times now, that always works well.
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Colorado Gypsy jazz festival (Djangofest is Nick Lehr's festival that he built with his name so let's respect his brand :0)) will be moved earlier to I think May probably at Swallow Hill. Summertime is to brutal in Colorado when you have free festivals in everytown including guitar town where you can see John Jorgenson, Richard Smith, and I think Robben Ford all for free just about every year.
    pickitjohnnomadgtrBuco
  • The shows were great this weekend. There were a few attendees during the lessons so it seemed that they're gaining popularity. I've made a good amount of progress this past year, but there is so much work to be done. I'll just keep my head to the grindstone now and check back this time next year. Happy playing!
    that looks good. is there any kind of party, or is it just the concerts and the saturday workshop?
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,749
    Not GJ fest but looks like pretty cool guitar gathering and Gonzalo Bergara is doing GJ workshops. http://www.crownguitarfest.org

Hey Craig I just noticed you initially asked which of those is a player's festival. Madison festival in September is as good as it gets. It's only one weekend but chock-full of jams and performances. Set on a beautiful country farm. I love hanging out there. Jams around camp fire until 5am. Alfonso usually sees everyone to bed.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • DaveycDaveyc
    Hey@Buco what's the name of that festival? That's not far from me down here in central IL.