DjangoBooks.com

Question regarding learning process

2»

Comments

• edited October 2014 Posts: 4,750
    The best advice I received recently - when you learn a lick, practice it at different keys then come up with at least 3 variations of it.

Another variation of that exercise is to take a lick and play it over entire song adjusting notes as needed to fit major, minor or dominant changes/chords.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    Funny you mention that buco, I was just trying to figure out the major and minor versions of certain licks last night will try the same with dominant chords too. Something new to practice... :)
  • I keep a set of notes to record down things that have given me trouble during a gig, things I hear when I am listening to music, and things I've discovered when I've been practicing. It works well with the Practice of Practice book discussed here and elsewhere as it forces me to focus on specific topics for practice.
  • T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    That video of Fapy was actually the one I was originally inspired by to take the lead and better start thinking of something. Thank you all for the vast amount of advice. Been a great help
    Buco