DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy style - no rhythm guitar

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    At Samois 2013 Adrien Moignard and Benoit Convert took the stage with no rhythm guitar, it was interesting to hear gypsy jazz guitar playing at such a high level with no "pompe" behind. It worked well but I think only the best players could pull this off ..
    lukejazz
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Very often Tim Kliphuis plays with guitar and bass and the guitarist often solos with just the bass as accompaniment - mind you he is an amazing bass player (Roy Percy)
    always learning
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Check out the recent Rainbow Duets album. It's technically not gypsy jazz, but it's jazz played on Selmer-style guitars by some of the leading gypsy jazz guitarists. Each track is a duet between acoustic guitar and upright bass.

Here's an example:

lukejazz
  • I had to do this last night with a sax and bass player for the first time. I had the benefit of the sax player comping on melodica for a few songs when I was soloing, but had to play with the bass player backing me with no rhythm. It makes you think about your choices of notes both melodically and rhythmically.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    I saw John Jorgenson with just bass and violin in Madison. Definitely a different sound, but it still swang.
    there's a few more django numbers... here's another cracker !

pickitjohnNonelukejazz
    edited November 2014 Posts: 1,457
    Oh, Tcha Limberger and Robin Nolan also did a set with no rhythm at DIJ 2013. Honestly I thought it wasn't very good - both great players, but they didn't seem to play together with any kind of coherence, as if it was thrown together at the last minute. Though many others seemed to enjoy it
    lukejazz
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited November 2014 Posts: 172
    lukejazz
  • lukejazzlukejazz Natchitoches, Louisiana✭✭✭ Dunn Belleville, Dupont MD50
    edited November 2014 Posts: 39
    Thanks Ted. Will do. Wow he's great. Wish like hell I could play that well.
  • MaximusVolumusMaximusVolumus ✭✭ Holo

Here's Bireli playing without Hono (or any rhythm player for that matter)
    lukejazzJazzaferri