DjangoBooks.com

Sideways

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    These sound pretty close to the Blue Chip.
    [/quote]

Jim, I can check my "jar o' picks" and see if I have an extra Primetone to send.
  • No need. I bought some earlier this week. I lost my Blue Chip (yup) at DiJ this year and was remiss to spend so much money on a pick. These definitely scratch that itch. They aren't exactly the same, but as Buco stated, these are pretty close for folks that are considering making the jump.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Another nice sounding Jim Dunlop pick is the 208. Used to be sold under the Herco brand. A good sounding pick which ever side you use. 40 cents a piece.
    I use the 208's or the Wegan. The Wegan is loud !
    I started using the 208's in the 80's, found the Wegan's 8 or 9 years ago and initially used them on my electric guitars because they had low drag and drive the string well. I was using high action and 10's mainly on Telecaster guitars. Action was about the same as a GJ guitar set up. I mainly played rhythm. The Wegans deliver but they wear out pretty quick for a 14 buck pick. I actually emailed Wegan and mentioned it. When I was touring I would bring along 3 Wegan to get through a 6 week tour. Playing rhythm would grind the tip right off of them. I would have white dust on the face of the guitar after every show. NBD but it was interesting.
    I use a flat pick approach with the Wegan's as you really can't use a stylus grip with them.
    The 208's on the other hand can be used flat on the tip or rounded edge or in the stylus method , which is the G.Benson approach with the tip more or less perpendicular to the string. Much less drag , so your velocity increases by 15 or 20 % almost automatically.
    In some ways a thinner pick is more versatile .
    The 208 is also outstanding as a pick on classical guitar or requinto.
    Those Gators are cool but I wear them out very quickly.
    Picks, Yeah !
    Phil wrote: »
    Don't forget this wonderful link, which also includes a wonderful interview with Bireli in English

From that other thread with Bireli interview.
    He says at one point, answering the question, that he's using 1.5mm Dunlops, didn't mention which tip is he using though :)
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Would love to see close up video of this stuff!
  • A propos of nothing really but I am happy that my KS60'has been shipped.
    rgrice
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • @Jazzaferri I would be too; $35 seems like a lot but I thought $15 was for a Wegen! What did I know! Keep us posted.
  • Will do...
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • gpacettigpacetti ✭✭
    Ok I'm new here,,I've been into the Gypsy thing for a few years now and I've made a personal study of the pick and I've made my own for a long time now. Delrin and Muskox horn and some other space age plastic Ultem. For me the design of the shape and a good grip is what dictates a nice attack. I think of the gypsy pick as having ,intension, meaning that you have one primary area of the pick that you want to use to strike with. So therefore thats why I think Wegan can dominate,,but my own new design rules now. Just add a crescent cut-out at the top and the pick stops rotating and the grip becomes more solid and hence your attack is more of a snap. For me when its going right the notes explode from the instrument.....thats it,,,,
    greg
    I'm just a regular guitar player and builder.. If any one is interested I'll try to post a picture, not sure whats involved to do so.......
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    gpacetti wrote: »
    SoJust add a crescent cut-out at the top and the pick stops rotating and the grip becomes more solid and hence your attack is more of a snap. For me when its going right the notes explode from the instrument.....thats it,,,,
    greg
    I'm just a regular guitar player and builder.. If any one is interested I'll try to post a picture, not sure whats involved to do so.......

Please post a pic!