DjangoBooks.com

Altamira 01 and Altamira 10

Comments

• Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Wise words. I'll look up the Nomad. Thanks.
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    In 2010 I sent away for an M01 from a German dealer, before Michael began carrying them. It was a noticeable improvement over the Music Link Dell Arte Angelo Debarre model I previously owned. A few months later on eBay I saw an M10 with a fairly minor dent in the side for a starting bid of $600. I had read that Jorgenson used an M10 as one of his stage guitars, so I figured it was worth a shot. Luckily I won the guitar as the only bidder. Felt the difference right away. As Michael said, not as brash as the M01. I found it more woody and refined, though still plenty loud. Very apparent when you played them side by side.
    Thanks, sadow. Another vote for the M10.
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    I had a bad experience with an Altemira (M30) and from it I would not recommend it, others may disagree from their own experiences. I did have really good experiences with Saga Gitanes DG-250 and DG-250M models that I got used for around $500 each (with case). So to each their own, but I really like the Gitanes, and if you search you can get the John Jorgensen model used cheap, which is their 'top' model.
    Stuart, thanks for the link - so many nice guitars on that German site!

I really must try to play a few before choosing, and although that is not easy to do, I can wait. At the moment I'm using a 75-year old acoustic archtop I found in a junk shop recently. The name is Columbian Major, and it has a real bite. The action is high, and the neck is thick and heavy, so anything I play after that will seem like a speed machine!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I agree with Stuart the Nomades are normally exceptional for the money. As for the Altamiras I think they are really good but one or two I've tried have been so so rather than good however I think that applies to any of the mass produced guitars. I like the Ciganos and there's one on Ebay Uk at the moment which looks like a bargain as it includes a nanoflex pickup ( worth about a £100 on its own) My "go to" guitar is a Gitane 250m and I prefer that to my Dupont Busato which tends to not get played very much. It's not an easy task when so few music shops stock decent gypsy guitars and you're getting all this advice from us as well. The other thing to remember is that buying outside Europe means that you'll be paying VAT and import duty on top of the purchase price and the cost of shipping so do your sums first.
    Rob MacKillop
    always learning
    Thanks, crookedpinky!
  • It really is hit or miss with Asian ones, though if you get one through Michael, do a fret dress, etc. and you should be in good shape. Like @crookedpinky I also have a Gitane 250m, and while it doesn't compare to my Dupont, it still plays and sounds pretty good! I've had fretwork done though and have a rather large piece of leather under tailpiece. My wife says they both sound the same! Haha.
    I'd still suggest you get the best guitar you can't afford! Lol!
    Keep us posted!
    If I lived in the States, Michael would be my first port of call. Sadly, my government likes to add 20% to the price, for apparently no reason at all other than they can.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    "handcrafted in Scotland" - ha ha. Just wait until I build my first complete guitar then there'll be two with that label. Going to March Manouche would be a great way to try out some different guitars.
    Rob MacKillop
    always learning