DjangoBooks.com

Right Hand Question

Comments

• Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Haha. Seems like a good rule!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,858
    Rob, I too have occasionally found it more practical to do exactly the same thing as you when attempting to play along with Django.

However, I've always had the nagging feeling that a "real" gypsy guitarist wouldn't want or need to do so...

My excuse--- and I'm sticking to it--- is: "Hey, fuck off, I'm an old guy! Leave me alone!"

(BTW, that's a real good looking archtop in your picture... Is that your "Columbian Major"? That's a brand I've never heard of before...)
    BucoRob MacKillopPetrov
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Yes, Lango-Django. I found it in a junk-shop about two weeks ago, for £100. It's a Harmony off-shoot, only imported into the UK in 1939. The top is solid spruce, the back and sides are laminates, and beautifully figured. The neck is a nightmare - really thick and heavy. The action is medium, and it currently has D'Addario bronze 12s on, which I might go down to 11s next time I buy a set.
    It's not a Gibson L5, sadly, and the sound is not the best, but with a heavy pick and rest strokes I can coax an acceptable sound out of it. It will do me for six months as I save my pennies for a decent Selmer-like guitar. It does look beautiful, though.

Looks like I should abandon my "down strokes on down beats" idea I once learned from lute playing! :-)
  • Check to see if the bridge is a really tight fit to the top. Have an old Kay that sounded really nice once I sanded the bridge feet to fit the top contours.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    It seems to be the original bridge, and fits perfectly, thanks. These never were high-level guitars, but it does me fine for the moment.
  • I also have a late 50s Kay archtop which sounds great but very tough to play. It's an ongoing project. Have a bridge I need to lower, but have fitted it top and as @Jazzaferri says once that's done, they sound very sweet! Mine is very dry and gypsy sounding with much less volume.
    Rob MacKillop
  • The neck on mine is sweet. Very much like a Les Paul of the day in shape.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • My neck is bowed upward a bit beginning at about 12 fret due in part to a bad repair job. I can only lower the bridge so much before the strings make contact being fretted. Still slowly lowering by sanding bridge, which is adjustable at least, so that I can raise if lowered too much by sanding. Only true fix, I fear, is to remove fret wire, level neck, and replace fret wire. It's such a cool old guitar tho!
    Good luck with that. Mine has a straight neck, which is great, but big, deep and heavy - hence the straightness.

16002910822_6f8bbaa4f7_o.jpgmain by RobMacKillop, on Flickr
    16002910872_a7bfb07ce7_o.jpgHead by RobMacKillop, on Flickr