DjangoBooks.com

Playing Fast

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 3,707
    If we want GJ to have a bigger future, it's worthwhile to reflect on what happened to mainstream jazz.

My band Douce Ambience, has vocals, and doesn't go in for self indulgence though having a few flash tunes in a set is good as the audience seem to like a few bravura technique pieces. I do admit, we have a commercial focus.

Personally I save my self I dulgence for jam sessions. It's way easier to play fast on sax than guitar anyway. LOL. Just wiggle fingers and blow.
    rgriceRob MacKillopBuco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • nailed it, jay. Non-musicians will be impressed by the flash for sure, but I think they also want to be entertained. Singing is a sure way to entertain. A good mix of entertainment and chops is what has been working for us. We want to have some fun but also understand, when we're hired to do a job, that we also should connect as much as we can. Make it relatable and create a vibe. That all being said, if love to have those chops and love what the more technical players do.
    Jazzaferrirgrice
  • Jim, it's good to have company in the "He who pays the piper calls to tune" school of music. I hope one day we will get another guitar player then I can do a wee bit of horn too....though I do love doing the intros and being rhythm bitch. NO STRESS.

In the other two bands I am in (playing tenor) I am up front part of every song, sometimes most of the song. I hate those nights where I don't have much to say....really have to dig hard. Sometimes on those nights I literally just wiggle my fingers and blow in the right keys/chords. As long as I don't go on too much I don't think anyone notices ROFL

As the song went "without out the audience, there ain't no show"
    rgrice
  • Jim and @Jazzaferri we would have no gigs if we didn't think this way! I still play what I want to, it just has to be a fit for where I'm able to play.
  • @rgrice so true...so very very true
    rgrice
  • Too bad you're so far away @Jazzaferri a sax playing guitarist would be a great addition to my band!
    Jazzaferri
  • Perhaps one day I can sit in if down in your part of the world.
    rgrice
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Personally I like it when people can play fast and still swing and keep good time. Those fast sections add excitement. Even though they are maybe more technical than melodic sometimes (if that is even a criticism) it is still valid and makes a statement. Having the most range of ability is good IMHO. Not that I can do it....but I certainly respect the ability of anyone who can play at those tempos. Sure dance music is great and if you are playing for a bunch of beginner swing dancers adjust the tempos down but if I'm going to see a Gonzalo or a Bireli, etc. sit down concert situation I like the pyrotechnics. It's all good.
  • MikkoKarhulaMikkoKarhula Helsinki, Finland✭✭ Manouche Orchestre 14-fret D-hole #134
    edited December 2014 Posts: 47
    In my view we guitarists are more surrounded with lessons and other teaching material than most of different instrumentalist. That might affect our approach to play and improvise. In my own experience I have noticed that heavy practicing with lessons that contains patterns etc. will sometimes lock my creative thinking and guide my playing to practicing-mode. Sometimes you hear guitar playing that reminds heavy rock guitar pattern practicing material and it might be that it doesn't even fit to the situation. This kind of playing often includes very fast playing.

I like to listen all kinds of playing even that kind of what contains lot of fast patterns etc. But when I really enjoy music and become inspired is when player is in deeper level with the song and interprets the theme maybe better than it is originally written. Django is of course good example but I hear this often for example in ethno music too.

Fast playing can be often justified but maybe it's not very musical thinking if one gives fast playing the major reason to play.
    Rob MacKillopKarlorgriceJazzaferri
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Which is why I like your interpretation of Autumn Leaves so much @MikkoKarhula - lots of ear-tingling ideas, and, yes, bursts of speed when needed.
    MikkoKarhula