DjangoBooks.com

Arps for Rest Strokers - Minor

2»

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited November 2015 Posts: 462
    Yeah no matter how much we might resent all the dead ends there is no short cut to experience, especially not in a book.

I think when Joscho or Bireli or Sebastian play descending sweep it is a choice and since they have the experience of knowing what strict gypsy picking does to clarity of intent they are able to decide when it is appropriate. But when there isn't a real solid technique behind the player and free strokes happen because of a lack of preparation that is when the results are musically unrewarding.

There are always exceptions, Oberg for example isn't terribly invested in rest stroke playing and he is very very clear and I find him utterly convincing. But a newbie trying to make his Yngwe licks work playing with not a lot of rhythmic intent on a Selmer he just got can be justifiably directed to practice towards a solid and reliable rest stroke. That might not be what he wants to hear though if his ear isn't telling him that what he is playing isn't holding water.

However a Gypsy trying to play every note louder than the last heedless of the musical sense of the line he is trying for leaves me cold regardless of the strength of the RH.

Here's one I had forgotten about.

Its more of a classic gypsy symmetrical octave's two string thing.
    Works nice for A7, Em6,and C#m7b5 or anywhere else you like the sound.

F#andG then B and C#. Fingering 12,13, or 12 Django style if you prefer.All DU

I never heard Django use it. I got it from Jorge Pardo playing soprano sax with Paco de Lucia and I think he does something similar on flute. I could never get it as fast and legato as him but I like the sound of it with an enclosure on the B and a chromatic passing tone.

ie, AGF#G then BCC#C. If you slur one of the notes on each string it rolls really nicely ascending with a gipsy picking feel double down for string crossing when ascending.

D.

Triplets.

AF#G, BCC#

OR

F#AG, BCC#

OR

AF#G,C#CB

OR

GF#G, BC#B

OR

GF#G, C#BC#