DjangoBooks.com

Advice on right hand - floating or brushing the top?

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 3,707
    I switch guitars all the time, I have no problem with reference height changing. I suspect the subconscious adapts quickly to this change.

I am absolutely mi d boggled by the idea of a pick contacting the top. At least on my 4 guitars that would mean like over half of a 1" pick would have to be exposed. On my blue chip in order o touch the top I can barely hold the pick. Am I misunderstanding something here.

Wim is right about protecting the finish. Thank heavens for Mylar film
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015 Posts: 872
    when using a rest stroke on the high E it is quite possible to hit the guitar since there is no string to stop the pick's momentum.
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    Charles, I'm 100% sure we can solve the double down issue in 15 minutes or less when we meet in person some day. We could try through video though. If you post a short clip with the close up video angle like my close up cam in Q&A2 I'll take a look!
  • Thanks @Scoredog I figured I was missing something. I use rest stroke but perhaps the fact that my knuckles or nails are brushing the top prevents that from happening.
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    edited August 2015 Posts: 264
    @stuart

I'm afraid that angle is not really good to say something about the picking hand. Could you film it like the video of Stochelo's right hand in Charles Meadows post in this thread?

I can say however if you want to play that dim arpeggio with all down strokes (like Stochelo) then only the down stroke that takes you to the next string should be a full rest stroke, all the others should be "half" rest strokes. From this angle they seem to be all the same (but again hard to tell).

If you check the part in which I describe all the picking motions (starts at 11:03) and exercise 2 (24:20) from my Q&A video episode 2, I go into more detail about the "half" rest stroke.
  • What Christiaan says plus 1. Looks like all true rest stokes to me too.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    edited August 2015 Posts: 432
    Christian,

So here's floating hand and then anchored. Please excuse the poor iphone video and the fact that I'm not warmed up! Long day at work. I did a slow version of a stochelo triplet lick from Rose Room, since it's getting the fast descending triplets to be relaxed that I'm trying to get. Anyone else feel free to critique as well. My issue is that the hands brushing the top feels more natrual. But at higher speeds than this the flaoting hand seems to feel more relaxed. Thanks!
  • It looks like you are over controlling to me. To much motion. Very hard to tell without seeing in person for me as I am not a teacher. But that's my $.02

Relaxed, fluid and economical. That's the way to practice as every time you do it any other way you are practicing that way.....which will lead to limitations in technique.
    Charles Meadows
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    @Charles Meadows
    You are experiencing what I like to call "pick stuckness syndrom". Your pick gets stuck between strings and just isn't cooperating with your left hand. This happens to ALL guitar players - even Stochelo - sometimes, it's just happening to you a little too often. So how to remedy this:

- first, if you have this problem it will be magnified tenfold by using a really thick pick. So if you'd switch to a thinner pick (say 2.0 mm or even 1.5 mm) it will get less instantly.

- the main reason this is happening is because you make too many movements with your right hand. The pick is changing angles constantly from slanting down to slanting up to slanting sideways even. Try to keep the pick as stationary as possible by: A. keep your thumb still - B. only pick the strings by (half) rotating your wrist - C. move to lower strings by moving your arm (you are switching strings by making your wrist rotation larger, don't do that because it will slow your down, cause sloppyness and will generally add to the stuckness syndrom) D. keep a very light grip on the pick. If you combine point B and C you can conclude that you use the wrist to pick the strings and the arm to move between strings, these are two SEPARATE movements. That's a very important point, because it will enable you to keep the picking motion exactly the same no matter which string you're playing!

- the reason why your pick gets stuck more while anchoring is because the anchor will limit your movements and because you naturally want to move more - and the anchor is making large movements more difficult - your pick will get stuck more. I actualy think you would benefit by playing anchored for a while, doing exercise 2 from my video every day for 10-15 minutes. Do it VERY slowly while you are intently watching your right hand for correct motions. Start at metronome mark 50 (excercise is all triplets) and work your way up to 80 during the 10 to 15 minutes. If it's starting to feel comfortable at 80 after a week or two (no stuckness syndrom) start the next day at 70 and work your way up to 100. After that feels comfortable 90-120 etc.

I was discussing pick choice with Tcha last week. He plays with a 3.0 mm pick while I play with a 1.5 mm pick. He told me that the thick picks are meant to be held much deeper in the hand (so further along the thumb). You are holding the pick on the tip of your thumb (like Stochelo and me) so I think you're a prime candidate for a thinner pick.
    Charles MeadowsJim KaznoskyJazzaferriBuco
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    @stuart

It looks like your biceps is not completely leaning on top of the guitar. So you're keeping the balance of the guitar with part of your upper arm. This usually will result in shoulder tension which in part will create tension in your arm and hand. It will furthermore restrict motions that involve rotating the wrist, which is the most relaxed and flexible way of making the rest stroke. There should be no gap between your upper arm and the guitar and in the video I can see the room under your arm. Also, rotate the guitar slightly backwards to facilitate this.

If you review the part in Q&A 2 about posture I go into a little more detail about it (starts at 6:50). It will take some time getting used to but I promise it will be worth it because the rest strokes and the double downs will become much easier.

You also seem to be a prime candidate for a thinner pick seeing that you have the pick between the tip of your thumb and index finger (see post above).
    JazzaferriBucoDaveyc