DjangoBooks.com

Finding the Way In

13»

Comments

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Hey Stuart, hilarious observation. Here I am, whining about my shortcomings, steeped in the music Django loved, attempting to imitate he, who drew inspiration from our native son, Louis Armstrong, and his music. Still wrapping my head around that one.

Reminds me, though, of a recent acquaintance and new jam partner I've made through this site. Manushe, who lives not too far away, has taken to transcribing Armstrong solos to guitar. He has an effort up on YouTube presently. That seems to me to get to the heart of the matter.
  • tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
    i think someone on this site put me on to the Bill Evans notion that improv is one minute of music in one minute's time. and he says you get there by mastering fundamentals so they become subconscious; leaves the conscious mind to concentrate on the music. he was a great player and has alot to say:

http://animationresources.org/theory-bill-evans-on-the-creative-process-and-self-teaching/
    Buconomadgtr
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
    Bill Evans was brilliant and beyond just being very creative. His range of expression was beautiful. Certainly someone to learn from for sure whether it be soloing, playing rhythm or composing.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Jazza what's 'deter ting'?
    Jazzaferri
  • tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
    Evans talks about the process; and the pitfalls; and demonstrates on the piano the temptation to approximate a complicated solo that you dont really understand vs. a simple line you totally understand and can build on.
    Pompe_ojisan
    He really had a wonderful mind and a way of explaining the path to a master level or the way he called it universal mind.
    I watched the YouTube videos but even better was reading the transcripts on the page from the link above, that way you could read and pause to ponder over it a bit.
    Thanks for posting this @tomcunn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Bones wrote: »
    Hey Jazza what's 'deter ting'?
    . Tabernac...I forgot that one....LOL....where was it?

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed