DjangoBooks.com

Double Top Selmer

I have recently begun making double top Selmer style guitars. Here is the latest version strung up in the white. I would appreciate any feedback. I am hoping this guitar will make it's debut at DjangoFest North West. Please pardon my bad playing.

Thanks for having a look.

Michael Collins
www.collinsguitar.com
whitneyguitars

Comments

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    The idea is to make them louder like they do for classical guitars, right?
  • Well, my goal is to make the sound fuller with more clarity and a broad spectrum of overtones. They are definitely louder, but that is not really my goal.
    To me it sounded similar to a flattop. But I don't mean that in a negative sense. And it sounded really nice, very rich single notes. Sometimes people are looking for one versatile guitar that can fulfill several different styles and this model would then be the perfect choice.
    Definitely a lot of nice overtones. It would be nice to hear it when the strings are more broken in, right now it's a bit bright for me, especially for rhythm in this style I like to hear more mellow and warmer sound.
    I love to see new ideas, or new uses for existing methods, would love to run into it and play someday. And your asking prices have always been fair I thought.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michael Collins
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Michael
    Let me know if you need someone to break in the strings on this one, I would be happy to do it for no charge! And it IS a nice sounding guitar for sure.
    Michael Collins
  • As for the brightness, this was recorded a couple of hours after I had initially strung the instrument. My technique is obviously lacking as well. Maybe I can get Michael Viteri over here to play it properly, or anybody else with a good technique in the Houston area?
  • Sounds pretty good through my headphones. I will give it a whirl at Djangofest if I can get my life back under control
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, sounds like a flat-top.

Rather wide frets ?

Interesting fret markers and sound hole treatment...
    over into Michael Dunn territory ?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Guitars are typically VERY bright when strung up in the white and played right away. They mellow out pretty quickly like within days in my experience. But very bright right off the bat.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Forgive my ignorance... what is a double top guitar?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,730
    Forgive my ignorance... what is a double top guitar?

My basic understanding is that It consists of literally two guitar tops but much thinner than traditionally and a composite sheet of a honeycomb structure sandwiched between them. Started in classical guitar building in 80s and later found it's way to still string guitar building.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel