Comments

Here's a video describing the process:
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Wood veneeer, composite, wood veneer.
    Not a double top in my world.
    Other makers have built double tops of two
    distinct wood tops with space between.

These "double" tops are sandwiches of three, not two layers.

In the classical world. wood, nomex, wood tops are known as bright, harsh, loud and soul-less.

Add this to lattice bracing. All the rage in classical construction with the yupncoming.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Is it possible to use the double top method to give the guitar more midrange- bass response?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Hey cool man! Always nice to see somebody trying something new with gypsy guitars. Cool looking rosette and fingerboard markers too!
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited November 2015 Posts: 476
    I hear it as thicker, less brash, but high definition.
    Thanks for taking risks and sharing your efforts. Your playing is fine but its always nice to hear a guitar hit hard, soft, low, high, double stops, chords, the whole business. Then you overcome a some of the inherent problems of recording and play back by at least hearing the contrasts a guitar has.
    Thanks again
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK

Interesting, and hopefully my post can resurrect some buzz around this topic. I have just started to experiment with making double top soundboards but I have, so far, explored using a laser cut central layer of 1.5mm cedar veneer instead of Nomex. After gluing the core layer veneers they were then sanded to 1mm and sandwiched between the outer skins. I have angled the grain of the inner layer and the three layers were all bonded using a UF resin in a vacuum press. I have two soundboards glued up, one with cedar outer skins and the other with spruce. The cedar one I have taken down to just over 3mm and the spruce one to about 2.9mm. Of the two the cedar is by far the most resonant and sustaining, possibly because it is the same species of timber throughout. Hopefully I will progress with this guitar build over Christmas and I'll post some updates as soon as I have further news and if there is any interest.

Bucowim