DjangoBooks.com

Django in June 2016

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Andrew, I hope Rino van H will be coming, too?

He, Tcha and Denis are my faves!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    No...sorry to report that we are Rinoless this year. :(
  • Now if you could only fix the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar. Ouch ....down to $0.68 against the USD
    kevingcox
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I'm thinking to go back next year. I don't think I've improved quite enough to justify it this year. Yes Rino was a great addition.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,457
    For me Samy is the deal closer here. He's a great teacher and possesses a knowledge about Django's ideas, sound and style that runs deeper than most modern players. Yet, he doesn't let the Django style totally dominate his repertoire either, which is something often missing in the more traditional players.

At this moment I think it's a great time to get him too because he'll really be bursting with information and ideas to share, having recently finished the Django remasters - have you guys heard this set?? Much better audio quality than Integrale, you can really hear Django loud and clear! And he was working on a book of the charts with more correct hot club chords, hopefully when this is available the Django fakebook with all it's errors and inaccuracies will lay to rest. I guess Brad Brose can tell you more about that, he was helping on it.

All in all a really well rounded teacher and player. His English is OK but some grasp of French language will surely help the student here.
    jonpowlscotandoatagnpickitjohn
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
    Hi Wim, I hadn't heard of these remasters. Any links?
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,746
    nomadgtr wrote: »
    Hi Wim, I hadn't heard of these remasters. Any links?

I think it's this;
    http://www.adf-bayardmusique.com/album1532-le-quintette-a-cordes-integrale-entierement-remasterisee
    and
    http://www.amazon.fr/La-Quintete-Cordes-8-Cds/dp/B0155EKJRO

Could someone with knowledge of French tell if it can be delivered to US if ordered from Amazon.fr?

Hope to meet your guitar in person :)

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
    I have ordered from Amazon.fr several times. It can take a while to get here but it works just fine. Shipping isn't cheap though but sometimes its your only option for getting some of this music. Thx for the links!

Yeah diggin' the Corazon, you'll definitely have to check it out if we end up meeting somewhere along the way. Craig did an absolutely superb job, it's a work of art.
    Buco
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    I've heard great things about that remastering project Samy has been involved in. I wonder if either he or Michael can arrange to have them on hand for sale at DiJ...

• edited January 2016 Posts: 4,746
    Ooh that's a nice idea, pick up a set at DIJ. I'd wait for that. Given I get my behind there this year. Which given the lineup seems like would be a terrible waste. (to miss)
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel