DjangoBooks.com

Django in June 2016

124»

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    It is about 30% gypsy jazz, 20% schlopping Jimmy Buffet tunes with a steel drummer to alchoholics for their 50th b-day parties, and 50% teaching. Somehow it all adds up to just enough. ;)

For me it's still 90% Teaching. Though last year, I made a whopping $175 a month (net) playing gigs with my band. By far my best year ever.

Teaching is pretty lucrative if you do it right though, and it leaves a lot of time for playing.

Anthony
    Daveyc
  • DaveycDaveyc
    Thanks for the festival and all the hard work !! I will prioritize to make it one year :).
    andoatagn
    :0) Thanks Andrew - your festival is perfectly reasonable and I know you make every effort to make it affordable for everyone. The travel, plus the shows I miss from traveling and everything - I really hope to make it sometime. Maybe when I become a B list guitarist instead of a C list I can take it easy for a week and go. It is justhe Doctor who plays as a hobby has the $20,000 guitar, I cut my teeth on the $700 one, just the reality of being a musician.

Lesson I learned here: don't go into making a living playing GJ before I earn my MD and aquire a $20,000 collector's instrument.

And please up your class rating, if you think of yourself as a C league, I don't even wanna think about where that puts me.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Haha. This MD doesn't have 20 k for a guitar! But Aaron is probably right that those of us who are hobbyists probably can afford more guitar on average that the guys in the trenches gigging every weekend to live!
    JazzaferriBuco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    The good news is that you can buy a nice gypsy guitar today for $400, or sometimes even less.

The bad news is, if you add up all your gig money from last year, it totals $400, or sometimes even less. ;-)
    Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."