DjangoBooks.com

NEW "Django remasters"

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Matteo wrote: »
    I bought the box from Amazon and was able to download the "grilles" for the tunes.
    Thanks, Matteo, I had bought the box set but hadn't figured out the downloading process - so now I have the grilles too.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Aha, never seen those. There are still a few things I only have on LP so I should check these out. Thanks!
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Matteo wrote: »
    I have the Django in Rome and Django on the Radio boxes from JSP.
    So how does the sound on the JSP albums compare with the Complete String Quintet set? I find the sound on the latter to be notably better than the assorted other compilations I had acquired but I haven't heard any of the JSP sets.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Somebody else has to answer. There are no Quintette de Hot Club de France recordings in the "Rome" or "Radio" CD boxes.
    I'll be able to better answer that once I receive the CDs but I have most of the JSP sets. They sound good to me, most importantly they're even sounding and even though some songs still have a lot of background noise the instruments are very present, you don't have to hunt for them behind the noise. In the liner notes Ted Kendal admits that on a lot of songs he wasn't sure whether to do more surgery in removing the background noise because he felt that on certain songs that would at the same time take away some of music as well. So he tried to come up with the best balance from song to song.
    Ted Kendall I thought did a great job although surprisingly the "volume 2" of the sets was not his work. The "Renown and resistance", which I don't have, has a lot of overlapping tracks supposedly and it was remastered by Ted Kendall so that's probably a better choice to get if you don't have either.
    Somehow I got an impression through other threads that compared different sets, that a lot of forum people prefer Integrale set over JSP work. I wouldn't know as I don't have the former, just didn't make sense to me buy over what I have. But when I got the Bluebird Djangology album, that to me was the best sounding Django album I heard. If this new set matches that sound I'm going to be very, very happy.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    I got them in mail yesterday. I listened to a few songs and compared them with some other reissues of the same. I used a pretty good headphones.
    Well mastered, all instruments are in front and present. Some background noise but well controlled, much less than on other reissues but not detrimental to music like some that have all the noise removed but the music sounds awful.
    It's very detailed, some things jumped at me that I didn't notice before. When I go back and listen to other recordings they're there but just didn't get my attention before. I wanna compare more with the Bluebird Djangology album but for now I think on these remasters the sound has more body to it. I compared Tears from JSP chronological set and this new one is better again for all the above mentioned reasons.
    Looks like this is as HiFi as it gets given the limitations of original recording techniques. At least for now I doubt you can get much better quality sounding Django.
    They did an amazing work here.
    Bravo!
    adrianwimMarkApickitjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
    edited February 2016 Posts: 39
    For those still trying to figure out how to get the grilles from the website,

Go to this page:

http://www.adf-bayardmusique.com/album1532-le-quintette-a-cordes-integrale-entierement-remasterisee-django-reinhardt-stephane-grappelli

and then add the "Grilles d'accompagnement" to your shopping cart.

After you've added it, proceed to create an account and enter your information- Email, address, etc, and then it'll take you to an overview of your soon-to-be purchase.

Underneath the total amount, there will be a place to put in a coupon code.

(This code is located in the last page of your booklet that came in the box)

Apply this code and the total amount of the purchase will become 0.00.
    Complete the purchase (You don't need to enter any payment information) and then proceed to:

http://www.adf-bayardmusique.com/mon-compte
    (This is your "account/downloads" page)

and download the .zip file at the bottom of the page! :)

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @asura =D>

Glad you posted the Grid download instructions, and @Buco, always appreciate your input and reviews.

@Wim Glenn had said about Samy Daussat chords for this New Revision...
    "He was working on a book of the charts with more correct hot club chords, hopefully when this is available the Django fakebook with all it's errors and inaccuracies will lay to rest."

Love to preview a sample of the Charts and Chord Fingerings, along with your feelings of the accuracy of the Grids, Are they Gypsy Style Fingerings, are all the songs charted.

Could this be the NEW DJANGO FAKEBOOK?

:)>-

@MichaelHorowitz Nice feel and layout for the New Comment Entry Box :-c
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,231
    I would look to the compiled leadsheets at the DiJ website as something that will potentially replace the Django fakebook.
    BucoAppel
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    edited February 2016 Posts: 134
    I would look to the compiled leadsheets at the DiJ website as something that will potentially replace the Django fakebook.
    For folks who don't know what Jim and Stuart have referred to above, you'll find it here:
    http://djangoinjune.com/get-ready/

Django in June has a new website this year and we had to decide what to do with all the accumulated lead sheets we (mostly Jack Soref) had prepared over the years for our annual Core Repertoire. So we just compiled them into one big PDF and that is available for the taking.

Should anyone be interested in how the tunes were selected, we always have two "tiers" of repertoire we recommend people prepare for DiJ. Tier 1 tunes are the most standard of standards that anyone just getting into this style should learn for jam purposes. The 2nd tier of tunes are intended to create common ground for people who already know those tunes and who want to stretch out a bit, together. We draw those tunes from the repertoire of artists who are going to be on our staff for that year...often they have been recorded by more than one of them.

So in that compilation you have both "tiers" of tunes represented. We never intended for it to serve as a "complete" Gypsy jazz fakebook. But we have hoped it would be useful to musicians wanting to jam on distinctively jazz manouche repertoire. May it be so...

~Andrew
    Django in June
    pickitjohnAppelBucoNone