DjangoBooks.com

Favorite Metronome

Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 49
My instructor recently showed me an amazing metronome. Many subdivisions on top of the main beat... quite a few extra features that he says are very helpful. He studied with a famous player who taught the use was essential to Gypsy rhythm. Do you guys have favorable experiences with various models?

Comments

• Tempo on my iPad.

But my fave device is band in a box.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I love traditional metronomes - Witners ? I think. I have two a full size one and a mini one. I detest electronic metronomes and beeps from DAWs etc. I think they're essential for developing a good steady rhythm.
    always learning
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I have a Wittner Super-Mini-Taktell that I have had since the 1970s. It still works great, is very portable, and has an agreeable sound.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Michael,
    What type of metronome did he show you? Was it online?
    Who is your instructor?

thanks
  • I was with the engineer helping mix some jazzy recordings I did last week. He showed me the drums on demand thing he's got. Sounded better than most drums, and will even synch with the groups timing rather than be absolutely metronomic.

Amazingly cool. Not even the same old monotonous stuff. I think it kinda interprets what is happening rhythmically on the rest of the tracks or some such. Fortunately for drummers the mixing program ain't cheap.
  • Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Hi Bones, It was an app on his cellphone modeled after the Boss DB90. Jason Cook from the Cook Trio,
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,454
    I use an atomic clock, so that it still keeps good tempo when I'm tearing through Les Doigts de l'Homme licks near the speed of light. Just kidding.

Actually I use the Steinway & Sons app on iphone. It doesn't do anything fancy, but my requirements are basic anyway:
    - free
    - tap-to-tempo
    - makes a traditional sounding 'clack'

And set it on the 2 & 4, for heavens sake!!!
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,730
    Another vote for Wittner Taktell.
    I also have Dr beat DB-60 model. Don't use it much aside from when Wittner might be to loud, DB-60 has volume control. I like to think of subdivisions in relation to what I hear from Wittner. DB-60 is cool and all, versatile with all the different patterns but I found I never use them. Maybe a 3/4 rhythm is something I used more on a DB-60 but I also just set Wittner to about 60 BPM and think of each beat as either a 1st or 2nd beat in 3/4 rhythm.
    And I prefer the sound from Wittner by a long shot.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Hey Micheal, I don't find that app on a search. Did he give you a link yet?
  • What I like about Tempo and drum machines etc is one can set up triplet timing, pushes, lazy beats and the like.