DjangoBooks.com

Why Amsterdam?

Comments

• lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    It still wasn't legal as of 2013. My guide, who was from Amsterdam, said if there is one word to describe the Dutch, it's tolerence - if it doesn't cause a problem, don't fret about it (used "fret" instead of "worry" since this is a guitar forum)
    Charles MeadowsJazzaferriDaveycasura
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    rafapak wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    There are those gypsy jazz players who decided to live permanently in Amsterdam - Robin Nolan and Adrian Holovaty for instance. What is different about Amsterdam when compared to other towns that attracts people who like music ?

Hey, my ears were ringing!

I didn't move to Amsterdam permanently -- I'm here just for a short bit, so that my wife, my son and I can have the experience of living outside the U.S. before my kid starts school back in Chicago and we become boring / tied-down.

There were many reasons for choosing Amsterdam, and near the top of the list was the fact that the country makes it relatively easy for American business owners to get a two-year visa (the "DAFT" visa). With other countries, such as France, the process is more difficult, sometimes even involving language tests.

Obviously Holland has many great gypsy jazz players as well. Not only the "famous" ones (Rosenberg Trio, Fapy Lafertin, Paulus Schäfer, Robin Nolan), but some fantastic under-the-radar players as well, such as Jan de Jong.

Adrian
    pickitjohnDaveycMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks for reply
  • DaveycDaveyc
    I have always wanted to go to Amsterdam hey that's good to know.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 6,153
    I lived there 15 years ago....I never had much problem with crime except for one time when someone stole my shoes at the gym (which was sort of bizzare.) I also had about 7 bikes stolen, but that's the way it goes there. The thieves can cut through just about any lock so after a while you just learn to expect it. Fortunately you can always buy another Dutch cruiser for $10.

I didn't frequent the "coffee shops" but did drink a whole lot of beer.

And I sill have dreams about this falafel place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/maoz-amsterdam-6

So good...
    wimJazzaferriDaveycBuco
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 3,707
    The sweet memories of youth. Dutch beer is pretty good.
    BucoT1mothy
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Pompe_ojisanPompe_ojisan Tokyo✭✭ Rino van Hooijdonk
    Amsterdam is definitely a great place for GJ.
    This is where it all started for me. I was living there 10 years ago, saw a few great players live and decided to start taking lessons. Then there was no coming back...
    I'll be spending some time in Europe this summer, and I have earmarked at least one week there to take a few lessons, see some lives and try some guitars.
    DaveycBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Dutch beer was pretty good, but give me a cassis and an order of fries with mayonnaise!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    MAYONNAISE on fries? WTF?!
    Buco
  • Absolutely, mayo or for the really brave aioli......
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed