DjangoBooks.com

Struggling to stay interested in electric guitar! Any advice

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    Then there are the classical-music listeners (whose preferences often center on Romantics-and-later) who call Vivaldi "sewing-maching music." Partly a matter of taste (for which there's no accounting) and partly, to my mind, a matter of insufficient listening experience. I've always found the notion that art can be "outdated" very strange--as though those who went before us just weren't hip or smart enough to have devised what we all-modderran-and-up-to-date folks like. I mean, is Gesualdo uncool because there's hip-hop?
  • Well said @Russell Letson

Its sad really that so many people, particularly in the USA (financially the largest market in the world) have such a shallow understanding of music.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    And then there are those snobs who say that they can't stand any jazz that came later than say 1934, or 1949, or whatever year they choose. Or rock fans who believe no good music has been made since 1979. Etc. People are crazy, all of them, aren't they?
  • Matteo wrote: »
    And then there are those snobs who say that they can't stand any jazz that came later than say 1934, or 1949, or whatever year they choose. Or rock fans who believe no good music has been made since 1979. Etc. People are crazy, all of them, aren't they?

Yes. There are things that grab your ear and things that don't. I'll bet they aren't to be the same from person to person. Just when I think I might never play a gig on electric again, I get asked to play rock gig and have a blast. Keep an open mind. Music is best enjoyed that way.

• fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    Matteo wrote: »

Yes. There are things that grab your ear and things that don't. I'll bet they aren't to be the same from person to person. Just when I think I might never play a gig on electric again, I get asked to play rock gig and have a blast. Keep an open mind. Music is best enjoyed that way.
    Thanks Jim (and the others above!) yes I am going to keep an open mind because I caught myself just yesterday wanting to hear my Fender's very sweet chimey warm tone....but I think the trick is with me is that I need a nice archtop....I just need a link to the more jazzy style rather than a Fender and a Strat, which makes me feel like rock more I guess. I will actually keep my Fender as I got it soo cheap (like $250USD for a 1990 2 by 10" Super 210) that I won't find that again and I will regret it. I think I will not force myself to play electric for a while, but just enjoy knowing I can and that I have kept that door open. Music shouldn't become too much thinking!! Peace to all!

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Or rock fans who believe no good music has been made since 1979.

But wait.. that one's true though, right? ;-)

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    Bob Holo wrote: »
    Or rock fans who believe no good music has been made since 1979.

But wait.. that one's true though, right? ;-)

LOL...awesome, but I have to ask (as I was born in 1975, what happened in 1974?? LOL...music is so subjective!

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    1974? Abba? ;-)
  • Matteo wrote: »
    1974? Abba? ;-)

Good music never sounds dated to me. ABBA sounds more dated than Django.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    @rgrice - actually, ABBA sounds better to me now than it did in the 70s, relative to what's out there now.