DjangoBooks.com

Wegen Pick

Comments

A clarinet player I was in the band with had a collection of 20 or so reeds and said people obsess over them just the same as we do over picks.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Nope, guitar players aren't even close. I have a 200 page book about adjusting sax reeds. Ray Reed the author, uses a dial gauge and several tools to micro adjust sax reeds. There are innumerable threads on reeds, adjusting them, whether and how to pre soak wet dry clean adjust.

Double reed players (oboe bassoon etc) are way worse than that
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Angelo Debarre used a Wegen M350 for a while. I tried it and am hooked. Also great for bluegrass mando.
  • A decade ago that used to be pretty much the fat GJ pick of choice. Phenomenal how many great picks out there now.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Sounds about right. The Wegen is great. Getting my patenotte on wednesday. Can't wait to try it out.
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    edited December 2016 Posts: 227
    It is just now after about 2 years (!) that I am really starting to feel comfortable using the 3.5 Wegen. I liked the sound right away, it is just a bit of a large adjustment from .76 MM, you know? I won't go back, for me it is so worth it.
    I will say though, I am not manly enough to larger than 3.5!
    Haha tortex .88 for strumming on everything else. I am interested in those adamas graphite composite picks though 2.00 famous cause of Jerry....anyone use those before?
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited December 2016 Posts: 393
    I guess I've been swept along by the current trend to use ordinary 2 mm Dunlop plastic picks, Turtle or Gator (a k a Dinosaur:-)). At least when I practice. But I always return to my faithful Wegens: the 5 mm Fatone and the 3.5 mm smaller sized ones (Twins?). As Michael here says, the latter ones work particularly well with short scale guitars. Good picks. A little bit noisy but fabulous tone.
  • terrassierterrassier France
    At the moment im using a Vladimir Music Vladiator 3.5mm pick and much prefer it to my wegen .............. but thats this week ;)
    Django Jazz Model Django 5.5mm. I got it "free" when I purchased a guitar. Buy a guitar, choose a pick. That was the deal with Tommy. I tried almost everything, and the weird, ridiculously fat pick felt the "easiest" for fast playing; it glides between strings and never gets "stuck" between strings. And the tone and volume I get with it is pleasing to me: big, mid-rangey, fat when I want, plucky-twangy when I want, and just "easy" to play with.

It's an arquably ridiculous expensive hand-made pick. I bought a back-up for $32.50. I've tried various picks my gypsy jazz compatriots use (Wegen 3mm and various Dunlops), and they feel and produce a sound that's "thin" compared to what I get with my funny fat pick. Now, that could absolutely just be conditioning, but ironically, I find my 5.5mm pick to be easier to produce good sound with than thinner picks. I'd describe it as "less effort" with this pick to get a good sound. Every other pick I've try makes me feel disappointed with the sound I get.

To each their own.