DjangoBooks.com

Insight on "Coucou" by Django and Josette Dayde

2»

Comments

• Does anyone know who actually composed the lyrics and the arrangement? Charming song!
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    The music is by A. Mathas and the lyrics by Jean Feline. They made another famous song that become a jazz standard
    Venez donc chez moi/Chez moi
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    The arrangement is by Django I believe
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 393
    Thanks, I didn't know that the same composers wrote those two tunes. I love Angelo Debarres version of Venez donc chez moi.

And I've always thought that Django's guitar solo on Coucou sounds so unusually happy, bouncy and optimistic, which of course fits the tune.

Here's what the booklet of The Chronological Classics CD Django Reinhardt 1940 says about the singer: "Singer Lyane (Josette) Daydé, about whom little is known, worked with the Quintet for two weeks at the "Normandie" cinema/night club, but was then fired by the leader."

Yes, that's all it says. Well, a little mystery makes it all the more attractive. And spring is welcome anytime, as far as I'm concerned. The sooner the better.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    s4lzkwqpo5r4.jpg
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    She is not so mysterious since she had a career after that. Django didnt like her so much but other jazzmen did. She was part of the zazous movement. She even played in movies as shown by TeddyDupont here
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    And she also recorded one of the hits of the Occupation era: Oui which was also recorded by Django in 1943
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 393
    Aha, she's the one to the left (Django's right) in the photo. So she recorded Oui? Well, before Youtube, web forums etc she was a mystery to both editors of CD booklets and me. Good old days; nothing like a little mystery to brighten up the day. Anyway, I think she sings better on Coucou than on that film clip. Oh how I long for spring, for le monde to get transformé...