DjangoBooks.com

new 'DJANGO" film

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I've just seen Django having the living crap kicked out of him in "Zero Dark Thirty". :#
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi,
    I have just seen the movie today (in France). I would say it is a good movie, not at all ridiculous, as I feared it would be. Of course when you have spent hours looking to old DR photos trying to determine who was who, the casting may cause you some surprises.
    For instance Naguine looks like she has been on a Weight Watchers program. Drummer Fouad is a giant. But Negros is perfect (Bimbam Merstein).
    As we could imagine there is a love story between Django and belgian actress Cécile de France despite the vigilance of Naguine (recently married and pregnant, how elegant!).
    The more or less fake guitar playing is not annoying, but don't expect to make transcriptions from the movie. The music, only very well known tunes so it is obviously either Django (old recordings) or not Django.
    Django appears certainly more resistant than he was.
    The episode of Django and Switzerland stops after he managed to cross the border, then it switches to the performance of Django's Mass. So one might as well believe that DR managed to stay in Switzerland. But Django as all the Tzigans and the Jews was rejected as the authorities from Switzerland considered that they were not exposed to any danger! (this omission will probably ensure a better commercial carreer of the movie in Switzerland).
    So all in one a good movie if you can override a few little drawbacks.
    Best
    François RAVEZ
    Bucowimhumphrymusic
    Thanks for a level headed review @François RAVEZ
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Apparently it's not even going to come out in France until like April 26... US release if it gets distribution would be much later I would imagine :(

I wish we were past this whole distribution/theatre model by now. I'd pay at least $10 right now to stream this

I was in Amsterdam and Paris last week and the week prior and saw many posters around both cities for the film. I was bummed to find that I'd miss the release it by just a week. To make up for my sadness, I brought a guitar home instead. ;)

AndrewUlleJojoFrançois RAVEZ
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    If the colour wasn't a giveaway, I'm also pretty sure Adrien Moignard wasn't alive in 1943...major plot hole!? :)
    Also, street gangs hadn't yet started using sophisticated hand signs.
    tfj752j3fizf.jpg

• JojoJojo London UK
    The Mari Sinti FB page says its out on May 4. Imdb says that it opens that day in The Netherlands. October for Germany and nothing in between for the rest of us
    Buco
    It it starts making decent money maybe it'll show up in the US as "limited engagement". I hope so at least.

McQ
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Here is the cinematographical vision of Naguine

Best

François RAVEZ
    wimBuco
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    And - Impulse Records is releasing the soundtrack.
    Buco
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    There are varous comments here about how this film will enable Django's music to reached a much wider audience but last weekend in the UK, he was heard by a massive audience. His recordings of "Souvenirs" and "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" (Freddy Taylor version) were on the soundtrack of the ITV series "The Durrells" which is regularly watched by over 6 million people.

........ and these were the actual Django recordings not copies.
    BillDaCostaWilliamsJazzaferriElí SaúlJojo