DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Wars

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    There are way more than 12 makers in France. This list is by no means exhaustive as there are currently hundreds of luthiers making Selmer style guitars throughout the world.

Just off the top of my head there are the French luthiers:

Beique, Mazaud, De Puga, Morin, Marin, LeBreton, Pozzo, Fontespis-Loste, Landry, Delie (I think), Buro, Prevost, Pascal etc. etc.
  • ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
    You can add Alonso-Le Dosseur (ALD) http://www.guitare-village.com/ald.php

They started making guitars in 2004 but their guitars are really good.
    I've seen them played next to Fred Belinski's selmer and they were less powerfull, but their sound stands the comparison

By the way, it's Provost not Prevost :)
    my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This Poll is still open so get your votes in...

'm
    Score one for Aria!!! :D

I think my local music store described best when they advertised it as "a gypsy guitar with a gypsy price".
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    except that most gypsies I have seen have nice, expensive guitars (not to mention Mercedes')
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Has to be The Gallato! Can't get closer to that original Selmer sound. :D
  • tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
    My vote is for ARIA MM20: it's a honest gypsy guitar that can enlarge the base of people who approach the GJ.
    Grazie Django!
  • tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
    ...of course considering that who approaches this style for the first time needs a cheap guitar with the best quality for its price. In this sense I think that, for an entry level guitar, the ARIA is a honest one. :?
    Grazie Django!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Just got back from the concert of Dorado at the Bluenote here in Milan. Guess what? He was playing a Gitane DG 255 (no moustache!). Should I say it? In his hands the guitar sounded just great (another case of "combat guitar I guess, considering the man has recently bought two vintage Selmer in Toulouse!)
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    edited August 2008 Posts: 125
    I have a Maurice Dupont and a Shelly Park. I like them both, but I love the Parks Encore. A fantastic instrument! Now I'm trying to find a Park D hole so I don't have to wait 10 months for her to build me one.
    -fopa