DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Wars

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I'm with Jeff - I've just bought a 2 year old Dupont Busato ( thanks Matt for a great deal ) and it's easily the best GJ guitar I've ever owned or played.

It's the standard model - mahogany laminate back and sides and spruce top - with a pronounced arch on the back and an obvious bombe on the top. Michaels description is spot on as is Jeffs.

I like my action high - around 5mm - but even with that action the Busato is still a joy to play and so responsive. It's a guitar which challenges you to play it well - unlike some others which are simply challenging to play.

The Busato responds more quickly to the way you fret and pick the strings and, like Jeff, I need to up my game palying wise.

I woudl also like to highlight another maker, missing from the original list - Harmsworth and Willis guitars, based in England. I have one of their Oval hole models and believe it or not it compares well with the Busato - it doesnt have the tonal qualities or responsiveness of the Busato but at a third of the price of a Busato standard ( £650.00 ) it's a bloody good buy. And it beats some other better known makes hand down.

Cheers
    Alan
    always learning
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff and Crooked:

It's interesting to hear your comments on Dupont Busatos.

I have a Dupont Busato Luxe. I like the ergonomic feel of the guitar. The fast Dupont neck, the tuners, the back arch, the front bombé...

I found the action a little stiff initially. I attribute this to a steeper neck angle putting the strings under more tension. I switched to 10s to counter the stiff action.

I feel the Busato is very revealing, in a manner similar to a telecaster. If you're not careful that volume can work against you. When it's all going well, amongst a group of guitars, the Busato really sounds noticeably great.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    My comment was on a 1943 or thereabouts Busato.

The two things that influence string tension are the string itself (thickness, materials, and core wire) and the "string length" - how long that part of the string you play (from bridge to nut or zero fret) is.

The bigger the break angle over the bridge, the more tension or pressure on your top.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Sorry Jeff, my mistake.

cheers
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Dupont actually did a great job with his Busato model. I have played three, plus seven vintage Busatos to compare them, and my impression was that if you took the characteristics of all the originals I've played and averaged them out, that's pretty much the sound of the Dupont Busatos. None of the Duponts had the character of the originals (but that comes with age; they'll get there), but they had really nice necks (most vintage Busatos make you work) and played beautifully.

Wayne, I didn't know you had a Dupont Busato. I'd like to try it next June, if you still have it.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I wonder if Dupont, in his approach to building, is a traditionalist - purist, a scientist, or is it a genetic thing in the family? I'm so happy with the Dupont I've got that I don't hunt anymore, but sometimes I wonder what the other great luthiers and other Duponts sound like.
    Michael H. and B. both say his Busatos are true to the original. No doubt Dupont is capable of that!
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Michael B:

I meant to compare my new Busato with your vintage Busato at DIJ 2010, but every time I got close to your room, someone else was playing the Busato, or single-malt scotch was put into my hand and i suddenly lost interest.

Next June for sure.

cheers

Wayne
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Dupont actually did a great job with his Busato model. I have played three, plus seven vintage Busatos to compare them, and my impression was that if you took the characteristics of all the originals I've played and averaged them out, that's pretty much the sound of the Dupont Busatos. None of the Duponts had the character of the originals (but that comes with age; they'll get there), but they had really nice necks (most vintage Busatos make you work) and played beautifully.

I completely agree....if you take a vintage Selmer and a vintage Busato you'll hear the same differences between a Dupont VRB (Selmer copy) and a Dupont Busato. He really captured the essence of these instruments. The Selmer is more complex with some thicker mids and the Busato is clear, ultra dry, and direct.

BTW, might be a good time to mention that I have a gorgeous 2010 Brazilian Dupont Busato Royale coming soon! :D:D:D

'm
    The recent Favino discussion provided the impetus for this....

Where is that Favino discussion?
    suprising to see Dupont surpass Jacques Favino... I'm also guessing most votes are curved on variety, most people have more access to gitanes than Dell Artes...