DjangoBooks.com

Duved Dunayevsky: The 1930s Django sound

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

For example, I'd never in a million years have thought of of using an F# note over a Bb dim chord, but when he does it, it sounds absolutely ravishing and totally Django-esque.

You're right, Will, the F# over Bb dim in G would never have occurred to me either but sounds great. He talks about it first as F# 7b9 but I guess we can also see it as A7b9 leading to Am like he says in a later section.

Josechiky
    I had the class live and it was better than I expected. Duved is such an awesome guy too. His advice extended outside of the class. Always up for jamming a few tunes and giving tips along the way. One of the most approachable and engaging instructors Django in June ever had. I really hope we see him there again.
    bopsternicksansone
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Jealousy over here.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Buco - don't forget to film yourself playing all examples. In all 12 keys. Thanks, bud.
    BTW - did he mention any recordings that are to be released?
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Info for Duved's UK tour this July :https://www.facebook.com/DuvedDunayevskyproject/
    Too late to record him, he's back in France. While in class I was planning on getting the soundslice course so I didn't record anything. I think he said he's going to release the CD but the whole thing is a little bit of a blur. Duved's Hot Five is gone, that I remember.
    His effortless mastery is best demonstrated when you listen to him in front of you, you're thinking "oh I can totally do that". He makes it seem that easy. But, as Will said I was just a mandolin player, not a good one either.
  • @Buco I was really impressed by the course and there are plenty of real life playing examples in the course proper and in the playing examples. What sort of topics did he speak of in his classes?
    @Jim Kaznosky Same concepts as the Soundslice course.
    @bopster just noticed you said film myself playing examples... Well...who knows, stranger things have happened.
    Scoredog
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Just idle curiosity here... but Duved's excellent English language skills and evident knowledge of music theory both seem unusual amongst his GJ peers...?

Thus I'd be interested in whatever Adrian could share with us about this gifted young man's background...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."