DjangoBooks.com

Anniversary Song: Tune of the Month, May '06

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
Here we go again...

For a bit of a change I thought we'd look at something that's often played in 3/4 but isn't as much of a challenge as [i]Montagne [/i]or [i]Valse a Dora[/i]. Anniversary Song is a tune I've heard played a thousand different ways, so don't take any of this as gospel. We tend to play it in as an AABB form in 3/4 before breaking into a 4/4 uptempo version (*see below). Here are some basic changes:

*4/4 break:
I'll usually just use this, returning to Am from the last E7 of the B section, so the break would be at bar 63:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--5--8--8--7------------------------------------------------------------------
--5--8--7--7------------------------------------------------------------------
--4--7--8--6-----------------------------------------------------------------
---------8--7---------------------------------------------------------------
--5--8----------------------------------------------------------------
then repeat, hitting each chord twice (or with triplets on the last two-I'll try to post an audio example if I can...)

The head is really pretty easy to work out by ear so I'm not posting it here, but here's a hint: the first note is E. I know at least a few of you do this tune, and it'd be good to hear from you all...if I remember right, Sir Robin Katz does a mean version; anything to add, my friend?

More to come,
Jack.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I wrote:
    ...if I remember right, Sir Robin Katz does a mean version...

Sorry Robin; I was remembering a comment you made years ago about Stu playing this at LeQue:
    http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5744
    It's scary how this stuff sticks in my head...
    For those that don't know the tune, here's a version from Django, c.1947. Like I mentioned above, there are a lot of great takes on this tune, so seek them out...

Best,
    Jack.

P.S., If memory serves, Anniversary Song was based on a fragment of Les Flots du Danube (correct me, though, if I'm wrong); here's a Stephane Wrembel recording of the tune under the Flots title.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I really dig Romanes version from the Acoustic quartet album. You can order the book that contains most of the heads and rhythm tracks of the album in Michaels store. I bought really just for this tune.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    My favorite version is by Latcho Drom (I think it's on "Deborah"); they do one fine swinging version.

Charlie
  • clausciclausci RomaNew
    if playng the b section in the nuage the swing way we use to put an A7 in bar 24.
    anyone knows the original way in wich could be played the b section??
    the original theme is of Ivanovici and i have a score but is of a french song adapted .anyone have the pseudo-original score of it? i m really courious cause anyone start to improvise in b section.
    Claudio
  • kashaikashai New
    Jack wrote:

P.S., If memory serves, Anniversay Song was based on a fragment of Les Flots du Danube (correct me, though, if I'm wrong); here's a Stephane Wrembel recording of the tune under the Flots title.

is it possible, for me to access the 16 Les Flots du Danube.mp3 file?

I can't seem to view/listen to it...
    if it's a forum thing, could you email it to me, perhaps?
    Try listening to it here:
    http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/wrembel-16.m3u

best,
    Jack.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Here's a great live version by Romane ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNATYtI ... re=related

off the topic, does anyone know the pickup he has placed by the soundhole from this clip? thanks
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    just like Wrembel, the first time through the B part I use a Bb6/9 instead of the Dm and then the second time through the B part I play it like it shows above, with the Dm.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Here's a link for Wremel's play-along:

http://www.stephanewrembel.com/anniversary_song.mp3