DjangoBooks.com

BYO D-Hole Dimensions?

whitneyguitarswhitneyguitars New Gitane DG-340 Modele Stephane Wrembel Model

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I purchased the plans from Francois Charles for the oval-hole Selmer guitar and want to build a D-hole model. As I understand it, all is identical to the oval hole with the exception of the bracing (to accommodate the large sound-hole).

To my best guess from looking at photos, the sound-hole itself measures ~70mm high and ~155mm wide.

Could I trouble any of you with a D-hole model to confirm the dimensions as well as the width of the rosette / spacing between the sound-hole and rosette?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Tagged:

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,319

Hi Mike,

On the Charle plan it is about 155 x 65 mm.

Edge of D hole to rosette about 4mm. Rosette 15mm.

Brace 1 is 17 wide x 20 high.

Brace 2 is 10 wide x 20 high.

4 braces.

Let us know how ur build goes. BTW for ease of searching we title luthier posts BYO for build your own. I edited it for you. Hope that's ok.

• whitneyguitarswhitneyguitars New Gitane DG-340 Modele Stephane Wrembel Model
    edited May 2019 Posts: 22

Hi Bones -

Thanks a ton for getting back to me. No problem at all on the edit and thank you for the tip. I'll preface future posts with this.

I since discovered an illustration in the Francois Charles book as well. It reads as 70mm high by 154mm wide (if I recall correctly - books is at the shop). I also messaged another builder in France and he said that he sets the height of the D-hole to the same as the oval (70mm) and then just scales proportionately which puts him in this range.

Cheers as well for the additional specs on the rosette / spacing. I'll post some progress pics along the way.

All the best!

Mike

• BonesBones Moderator

BTW those actual dimensions were not on the drawing so I just scaled them with a metric ruler. It should put you in the ballpark.