DjangoBooks.com

One last attempt to find one soul who can identify this guitar

13»

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso

Here's a more detailed photo of the heavily ornamented black Carbonell probably taken in Marseilles c1935. Man, I wonder what ever happened to this guitar... The thief probably just tossed it in the river.

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

There’s plenty of info on him getting his first electric guitar:

Buco
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Of those two photos, the top one has what looks like it could be a Di Mauro tailpiece and although the headstock is similar to the Di Mauro shape I have never seen a Di Mauro with a bound fingerboard.

The lower photo has the larger headstock, classical style tuners and what I suspect is an Italian tailpiece, quite possibly supplied by Abele Naldi of Milan. I still think it could be a Carbonell but also it could well be by an Italian luthier working in Italy, not necessarily one of the known Italians in Paris.

As this question has been going around for a long time with no definite conclusion it is at least safe to say none of the experts, collectors or players who check in to this forum have seen another the same (except of course Bopster). Of course Bianchi, as a well-known professional player at the time could have probably had a custom designed one-off made for him by any good luthier but it is the small details that will identify its origins if we ever can.

Buco
  • scotscot Virtuoso

I found this in my archives over the weekend...

Bucobillyshakesmac63000BillDaCostaWilliams
  • BonesBones Moderator

Bopster, love the tailpiece. Did you make that?

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

@Bones - yes sir. Took these two and glued them together

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator

Wow cool, where did you get the parts? What kind of glue?

The Vintage Harmony Kay Regal tailpiece I got on Ebay, and the  Cast Bronze Victorian Keyhole Escutcheon I got on Etsy.

I used Gluedots.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBones
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

So is that Joseph on the right? The tailpiece and bound fingerboard are both quite distinctive......back to my old photo files to see what matches...................there is something Busato about the look of that one...........

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

A 3-piece headstock is sorta rare. That might be a hint?