DjangoBooks.com

Tone dilemna

13»

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Indeed, I am playing a Gmin7 chord, then a C7 chord on the A section. That's the way I learned it, and I've always liked the way it blends with what my bandmates are doing, so I stuck with it. However, there's another guitar player in town who subs with my trio sometimes & when he calls Swing 39, sometimes he asks us to play Bflat6 instead of Gmin7. It's fun to do that as an alternative (the relative major, right?), my challenge when we do that is to find something different to do to outline the sub, and of course to try to make it all the way thru the tune (long form!) without inadvertently going to the Gmin7. Muscle memory is great, until it isn't! This is a fun discussion, Wim. On a side note, the other guitar player in my band likes to do the opposite sub sometimes on Coquette--we play Bmin7 instead of D6, but only on the the 1st chord of the last A section. But we do it all the way thru the song. It's a lot of fun to see what each guy does with it when it's his turn to state something over it.