DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Buzz/Checking for loose brace in petite bouche

2»

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

A similar thing happened to my Dupont MD-100. It wasn't super annoying but not something you would ever want. I had the chance to take it to **** at a workshop in Los Gatos, CA and he worked on the truss rod for a bit. The sympathetic resonance is gone, the neck is straight and the guitar sounds great.

Listening to you guys I'm kinda glad my guitar is truss rod free.

mac63000
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

My Dupont MD-60 is still buzzing. It's the truss rod rattling in the neck chamber. Although it was corrected temporarily by proper setup and adjustment, overall the issue has persisted. The neck chamber dried out over time and loosened the rod causing the rattle.

I recently spoke with a repair person about stabilizing the truss rod when all other methods have failed:

One solution is injecting a Chair-loc fluid into the neck chamber to expand the wood and close the gap. It's accessed by drilling under the fret dot markers into the chamber and pushing the fluid through the length of the chamber with air pressure. The truss rod is worked while the fluid dries to ensure it remains functional.

Another solution is injecting wax into the chamber or a pliable silicone.

Another is inserting a dowel into the hole under the dots to secure the truss rod in place. The dowels are glued and fixed to the hole but not to the rod itself.

Afterwards, new dots are glued in place and sanded to the existing fingerboard plane.

I've already purchased the fret dot replacements, Chair-loc solution, and awaiting an opening for my repair person who's done this repair before, although I'm considering the dowel method in the meantime. Minor surgery and I love the guitar so it's worth it.

KlausUS
  • BonesBones Moderator

If your fret dots are centered on the neck over the rod you could just remove a few of them and drill a bigger hole and squeeze in some caulking in a few places to stop it from rattling around.

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

@Bones Thanks for the tip! They are centered and the 3 primary one are larger, almost as if Dupont intended to make them larger in case this repair needed to be addressed.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I did replace the tailpiece, but it was still there. Went back to the truss rod, gave it a 1/8 th turn: that took care of it.

• BonesBones Moderator

Yes Chief good to have a least a little preload on the truss rod.

mac63000