DjangoBooks.com

Simpl(est) setup for home recording practice sessions.

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
in Recording Posts: 1,471

Hello all,

I've never been an audio- or technophile, and even when I was using stuff about 7-8 years ago, I'm sure everything has changed in terms of specific models, etc.

Interested in a simple setup for recording practice sessions. I had a Presonus something-or-other years ago, I think, and at one point a number of microphones, incl. AT clip on, etc. Nothing now. Would prefer not to buy a microphone, even, if the small mics on something like the Zooms do a good job.

Recommendations? Just me, practice sessions, to hear clearly how I'm doing?

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I've been using my Zoom H2 recorder as a USB mike for recording practice sessions direct to my laptop. Simple to set up and sound quality is fine for me. I believe the H1 recorder works similarly.

I use Audacity to edit the mp3 files if needed.

Passacagliabillyshakesrudolfochrist
  • AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    • +1 for free Audacity. Used it for a couple of months recording straight the laptop mic. Worked well.
    • I then upgraded to Reaper + cheap NW-700 USB microphone. Reaper works better for slowing down audio, and also can deal with video.

Passacaglia
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

I second using something like a Zoom Q2HD. They are good enough for doing an informal recording of a practice session or a jam session. I use a Zoom Q2HD to record the weekly jams and then I listen back and critique my playing and figure out what I need to work on.

Passacaglia
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

I bought a used Zoom H5 and it works great. For practice, I will play lead over backing tracks or practice rhythm over a click track and then listen back on the Zoom. Learning curve is quick and the results sound fine.

I have also used the Zoom when playing gigs and just leave it recording for the entire set. There is a setting that stops the recording function if the sound is not loud enough that I have not been able to master - and, if I figure it out, it should save time when picking out and saving individual tunes using programs like Audacity or Reaper (which I prefer).

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

Most often I just use my smartphone to record.

Scoredog
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

as a person who puts out pro quality recordings for my living I most often use a smart phone because quite simply it is easiest and you get a vid. If I am doing a real project then I flip on Logic and do the deal but most of the time the phone is great for quick and easy feedback.

AzazzellBuco
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Thanks all. Buco and Scoredog, I'm stuck in the 19th century. I've never owned a smartphone. That said, I have my son's hand me down when he traded up. With something like 3200+ tunes, all my Rosenberg vids wouldn't fit....so....lol.

I ended up with a Zoom. It wasn't until you guys posted that I remembered I used a Zoom and it was great. Just went with the simple H2N, can't imagine I'd need anymore. (Famous last words).

Appreciate it everyone. Now I just have to have the guts to record myself after so many years.....

juanderer
    -Paul

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Wow, no cell phone, I'm actually impressed.

Passacaglia
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Hahaha - yeah, don't be. I'm just lazy, I think. The virtues of not being gotten ahold of.

By the way, just noticed your location. Native Venturan. As a kid used to hangglide in hills behind, La Conchita, maybe? Memory is hazy, but good times. Swam against Santa Barbara teams quite a bit. Used to go to Joe's as a kid as well. Cool town. Hope you guys are OK. Fires, now this. Hang in there.

-Paul

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Hey, Paul, long time no see! Good to have you back. You should do a posting to tell us all about what you’ve been up to for the past few years...

Will

Passacaglia
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."