DjangoBooks.com

Ever tried to play like Django with just the first two fingers?

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

Reference a comment made by Buco, Django often played essentially the same arpeggio but his variation in timing and emphasis was such that it sounded totally different every time.

His incredibly long fingers did enable him to achieve things that would otherwise have been impossible with his disability.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,855

First thing that was surprising to me is, as soon as I started getting it up to speed, it turned out that right hand needed much more practice time than left. So for one it was a great vehicle for me to practice the right hand picking.

Yes, exactly! That extra RH “oomph“ is what gives you the extra volume, and somehow gives each note more “authority”.

I was just embarrassed to find out that my RH isn’t quite as strong as it should be...

Try it for yourself: play the head of some tune you know well using just two LH fingers, you’ll see what I mean...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I just started learning Minor Swing with only two fingers. What's been interesting with this method is how it makes me look at the genius of Django's playing and compositions. I think what it's also made me realize is that he really didn't appear to be limited much by his condition. He bulldozed over a barrier that think many of us would have made us quit.

• edited September 2020 Posts: 4,735

He bulldozed over a barrier that think many of us would have made us quit.

As far as I know there's no precedent for anyone in music world prior to him to overcome that kind of injury and not only continue playing the instrument but become one of the greatest ever jazz instrumentalists (certainly the greatest on guitar in my book, with only Wes coming close). It still blows my mind, the audacity or balls or stubbornness or whatever it was that made him say "**ck this I'm gonna keep going" when everyone around him though he was done and told him so. And in turn this "no I'm not giving up" opened the door to success for his people, created this community and many others like it, a music festival on just about every corner of the planet, so much beautiful unique music being recorded and played every day...all that because of the tenacity of one guy.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited September 2020 Posts: 393

The closest thing I've heard of is a trumpet player, with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra if I remember correctly, who slipped on ice in the winter and smashed his teeth out against the steps on a bus. He came up with a new way of playing, a no pressure-style, and is said to have become a better player afterwards; better tone, better range etc. He wrote a method about playing the trumpet without putting any pressure to the lips. A friend of mine has the book, so that's how I know about him.

I have often wondered if Django ever considered changing fretting hand and play "lefty" - when Joseph brought that guitar to him at the hospital. Did he ever try that, but found that he had better chances of getting back in business by changing his left hand technique and play melodies with only two fingers and chords with the limitations his other fingers offered? Did anyone ever ask him that?

I once heard of a double bass player who had a hand injury and switched from "righty" to "lefty" to be able to continue playing. So maybe it would be doable on the guitar too (although it would certainly require a lot of work)? On the other hand, there's a rock guitarist who lost his fingertips (I can't remember his name now) and like Django didn't switch fretting hand either. So maybe it would require going back too much to basic training of motoric abilities of the hands and arms for a guitarist who already has learnt to play his instrument well to even consider?

On the other hand, there's a rock guitarist who lost his fingertips (I can't remember his name now) and like Django

Tony Iommi, Black Sabbath. He thought he was done until a friend played him some Django while Tony was depressed in his room thinking his playing days are over.

MikeKBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,308

Matteo's comment about a trumpet player makes me think of Chet Baker having to retrain himself to play after being beat up in a drug buy gone wrong.

Also, there is Pat Martino re-learning how to play after completely losing his memory following an aneurysm.

Both required the instrumentalists to go through some intense form of relearning, but it is arguable which of these or Django's was the greatest obstacle to overcome. It is well-documented that Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi looked to Django's story for inspiration when he lost 2 fretting hand finger tips in a machine accident on his last day of work subsequent to their major label signing.(edit: went down for some tea after drafting without sending and see Buco beat me to the Iommi piece) @Buco I too am not aware of any musicians to face such a hardship prior to Django that was able to achieve such a level as he was, though his experience has doubtless served as inspiration for many since.

Well before Django, Robert Johnson was able to play the guitar without his soul. Amazing! 🤔

billyshakes
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,457

It was not well before Django! Johnson was active from 1929 into the 30's. In fact, I'm skeptical whether that 1928 crossroads deal with the devil ever actually went through. Ol' Beelzebub was away in Paris at the time, setting fire to caravans, and as we all know it was Django who ended up with all the cool guitar skills. There may have been a mix-up?

billyshakesChrisMartinDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre

Sorry, there is a missing comma.

"Well, before Django..."

wim