DjangoBooks.com

Godin 5th Ave

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Has anybody use a Godin 5th Ave for GJ? I have a friend who uses the Kingpin version (it comes with a P-90 pickup) & he sounds great. It's very Charlie Christian-ish to my ears, which is a sound I love. I have an opportunity to buy one that was manufactured without a pickup, and I'm wondering if any of you have used one. The guy who's selling it had a K & K twin spot pickup installed in it, but I've never used that system either. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this.

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

They are going to sound like really good p90 guitars, but the construction is so much more like a traditional archtop, that even with the K & K, it's still not going to sound "right" for GJ. Awesome guitars though.

Have you looked at this? https://godinguitars.com/product/multiac-gypsy-jazz-natural-hg

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Thanks for your insight JSanta, and for sending the link. I didnt know Godin made GJ guitars. I should have mentioned that my goal with the Godin is to get a tone that somewhat resembles Django's electric tone. If I can get close to that, since the 5th Avenue is offered at a good price, I'll probably buy it. I appreciate your help here.

Why not just get a pickup for one of your Altamira's? Those 1953 recordings were more than likely done with his Selmer and a Stimer pickup.

I've got a couple of Krivo Djangobuckers that I use regularly with the Altamiras, and I really like that sound. My quest here is more about trying to incorporate the 5th Avenue into my gigs and wondering if it'll be a good addition to the arsenal.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I did a gypsy jazz gig with a 5th Avenue (with the P-90 pickup) and really had fun with it. But it was the pickup that made it!

But check the action (even though adjustable). This one had an issue with it, not sure why, maybe neck angle changed or something (it wasn't my guitar).

That's good to know, thanks pdg.

I understand now. It would be an interesting addition to what you have, though I think you're going to sound more Freddie Green than Django Reinhardt on that guitar. And I guess you can't go wrong with sound like either of them!

But let's be honest, you can play any style of music on any guitar. If you like that Godin, it's a no brainer to get it.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Alternate take: what's your amp/pedal setup for your Jo Pass?

I can get 80% to the electric Django sound with my humbucker hollow-body, plugged into a Fender style amp with the bass and highs down, mids boosted, and either pushed a bit with a clean boost pedal (for some compression/grit) or just turned up if it's small hand-wired tube amp (like a Fender Princeton / Champ / Deluxe).

If you're unhappy with your Jo Pass, the Godin with a P-90 will get you a bit closer... but a peche a la mouche / stimer on your Altamira into a small tube amp cranked up is what you're really going to want. Archtops just have too much sustain and not enough attack to really nail that tone.

vanmalmsteen

Interesting observations, Christopher. I've been using the Joe Pass a lot recently on my weekly gig in Asheville NC. I recently had my luthier install a Gibson Classic '57 Humbucker in the neck position & I'm running it through a tweed Fender Blues Jr. I'm very happy with the tone. I was asking the forum's view on the 5th Avenue because the guy who's selling it is offering it to me at a reasonable price. If folks on the forum had experience with it and liked it, I figured I'd get it & add it to the mix. I like the idea of blending 1 part Charlie Christian's sound & style, 1 part Django's acoustic & 1 part Django's electric. That's what I'm after these days, and it seems like the 5th Avenue may be a good addition to the team.

Wherever I have tried them in stores I have hated the acoustic sound of them. They sound thin and quiet. I would pass. But that's just my opinion.

But I do like how they are made in Canada and a reasonable price. Just not really usable unless you put a pickup on it. For you I can't see it adding that much to your arsenal.

But, you really sound like you want someone to tell you to buy it.

vanmalmsteen